Product Designer, Visual Systems - Education
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
To further support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. As a Product Designer, you will create application and data visualization interfaces for science, education and political advocacy applications. If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into useful and valuable experiences
- Design flows and experiences that are straightforward and effective
- Give feedback to and solicit feedback from other designers in order to continually raise our bar for quality
- Work closely with PMs, engineers, researchers, and experts in education and science to conceive and iterate on the user experience of products
- Develop new scalable components and visual assets for design systems and facilitate contributions by other designers
- Set the standard for visual quality and rigor in our design system; identify opportunities for brand expression and delightful user experiences
- 2+ years of app-based interaction design and visual design
- Demonstrated experience with end-to-end product design (or similar UX/UI design) with URL featuring examples of design work
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in the process of building and shipping applications or software
- Experience designing for diverse groups of people preferred (international audiences, multi-language localization, accessibility for people with disabilities, etc.)
- Demonstrated mastery of typography, grid systems, color theory, and other aspects of visual design with strong attention to detail
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.