Applied Scientist, Computational Biology
Palo Alto, CA
The mission of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is to advance human potential and promote equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. As an Applied Scientist at CZI, you will invent approaches to support our mission in education, science, and political advocacy.
We are looking for a research scientist with a passion for dealing with internet- and genome-scale datasets to work on our platform that will help cure infectious diseases and map every cell in the human body. Our team builds end-to-end solutions including large-scale clusters, data pipelines and search algorithms, complex biological models, software services and visualization systems.
The position is full-time and based in Palo Alto headquarters and at the CZ Biohub in San Francisco.
- Design algorithms and models for efficiently storing and searching large volumes of scientific data
- Develop back end sequence analysis tools and efficient interfaces for accessing these tools at scale
- Apply expert software development skills to a wide range of coding projects, some of which may be ML-related
- Create ad-hoc technology tools for external partners
- Suggest, collect and synthesize requirements and create effective project roadmap
- Work side-by-side with scientists in designing experiments and implementing complete systems
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or related quantitative field
- 3+ years of data modeling and analysis, preferably as applied to biological problems
- 3+ years of programming experience
- Experience developing and debugging in C/C++ and Java
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, and shell scripts
- Experience in one or more of the following areas a plus: machine learning, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining, artificial intelligence, filesystems, server architectures, and distributed systems
- Proven ability to independently define project requirements and ship products
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.