Technical Project Manager - Advocacy
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. As a Technical Project Manager on our Policy & Advocacy team, you will manage our relationships with external technology and data partners, including researching potential partners, negotiating and documenting our technology or data agreements with partners, and ensuring our partnerships are executed properly on both sides.
This position is based full-time in our Palo Alto, CA office.
- Manage technical and operational relationships with our advocacy technology partners
- Work with our engineers to define and document technical processes
- Perform technical tasks like data ingestion and report generation
- Research and propose potential partnerships across the landscape of advocacy tools and data sources
- Understand the cost structure and other details or our partnership agreements, and communicate those details to internal stakeholders
- Contribute to our advocacy product strategy by working with our product and engineering leadership
- Become a subject matter expert on existing advocacy tools and data sources
- 5+ years of experience in technical project management or product management
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects and competing priorities in an ever changing environment
- Experience working with external stakeholders
- Experience querying databases or running complex spreadsheet workflows
- Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing technology concepts with technical team members
- An analytical, meticulous and detail-obsessed mindset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including communicating technical concepts to non-technical team members
- Background in civic technology working with political and advocacy organizations
- Experience working with large data sets to guide advocacy strategy
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.