Data Scientist - Education
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative wants to provide every student, and every teacher, the opportunity to reach his or her full potential. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative supports and develops personalized learning experiences that are focused on and led by the learner - meeting them where they are cognitively, physically, socially and emotionally. We're looking for data scientists to help bring a new personalized learning platform to the globe's generation of students and help advance the potential of humanity.
Ideal candidates are focused on results, are self-starters, and have demonstrated success in dealing with product ambiguity and defining direction. In your role, you will partner closely with area experts, Product Managers, and Engineers to identify how to use data to design experiments, measure progress, extract and translate data insights into real world impact. The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, and experience working with analyzing large data sets and making data-driven decisions.
- Work with engineers, PMs, and domain experts to answer high leverage problems using imperfect data
- Be a thought partner with product and engineering leads to select appropriate metrics and goals
- Define, scope, and manage data projects from beginning to end
- Implement data pipelines to automate routine analyses
- Teach engineers, PMs, and other analysts to use data well
- 2+ years experience doing quantitative analysis
- Experience working with large and messy data sets (SQL experience is a plus)
- Practical experience with experiment design, regressions, and statistical tests
- Experience manipulating data through statistical software (ex. Python, R)
- Practical understanding of and experience with machine learning
- Expertise in programmatically transforming, merging, and standardizing large data sets
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. We make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.