Data Scientist - Education [LIVE in GH]
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
We're looking for data scientists to help bring a new personalized learning platform to the globe's generation of students and help advance the potential of humanity. Ideal candidates are focused on results, are self-starters, and have demonstrated success in dealing with product ambiguity and defining direction. In your role, you will partner closely with area experts, Product Managers, and Engineers to identify how to use data to design experiments, measure progress, extract and translate data insights into real world impact. The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, and experience working with analyzing large data sets and making data-driven decisions.
- Work with engineers, PMs, and domain experts to answer high leverage problems using imperfect data
- Be a thought partner with product and engineering leads to select appropriate metrics and goals
- Define, scope, and manage data projects from beginning to end
- Implement data pipelines to automate routine analyses
- Teach engineers, PMs, and other analysts to use data well
- 2+ years experience doing quantitative analysis
- Experience working with large and messy data sets (SQL experience is a plus)
- Practical experience with experiment design, regressions, and statistical tests
- Experience manipulating data through statistical software (ex. Python, R)
- Practical understanding of and experience with machine learning
- Expertise in programmatically transforming, merging, and standardizing large data sets
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.