Director of Policy for Education
Palo Alto, CA
Policy and Advocacy
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
Our Education Initiative team is committed to making a national and global impact enabling each person, especially those most in need, to unlock his or her full potential. We are passionate about using transformative, personalized learning experiences and systems that address the needs of the whole child - leading to more humane and equitable communities and society. As a key leader in our policy work, you will be a critical part of this mission. As our Director of Policy for Education, you will lead our efforts to broaden awareness, build political will and deepen community support for personalized learning experiences. You will also lead mobilization efforts and strengthen our education work by building key partnerships with policy makers and community groups.
You will directly report to our CZI President of Policy, but will partner closely with the CZI Education team. This position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto office.
- Partner with the President of Education and his “Stakeholder Development and Mobilization” team to build and execute federal, state and local policy strategies to support the policy needs of the overall Education Initiative
- Establish and maintain partnerships with policy makers, thought leaders and other groups that are critical for the work around personalized learning including meeting the physical, mental and emotional needs of children through integrated social services and other strategies
- Partner with other Policy team members to support planning and executing public engagement campaigns including communications to support building a grassroots and grasstops movement around our education work
- Support our Education grant-making with strategic outreach and engagement
- 10+ years of relevant experience in education policy and advocacy work
- Extensive experience working in the education policy field is required, preferably working at the federal and state level across party lines and with diverse populations including those with greatest needs
- Demonstrated commitment to opportunity and equity in the workplace and broader society
- Ability to manage, develop, and lead a team with high integrity and conscientiousness
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders, at all levels
- Able to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, setting aside individual ego.
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.