Education Communications Manager
Palo Alto, CA
Policy and Advocacy
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
We are looking for a candidate who is committed to communicating creatively the work of our Education Initiative, one of the central pillars of CZI’s efforts to unlock human potential and promote equal opportunity. Working with a world class team of subject matter experts, the Communications Manager for Education will help drive the public conversation around the future of education and personalized learning. This position will serve as the spokesperson and communications lead for all education-related work undertaken by CZI.
This role is based full-time in Palo Alto, CA. Please apply if you are willing to relocate.
- Establish a communications strategy supporting the goals of the Education Initiative, with strategic guidance from the President of Education and the VP of Communications.
- Field any on-the-record media requests related to the Education Initiative
- Proactively pitch stories related to the Education Initiative
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the education-focused media, as well as with other public voices in the field of education policy
- Support the digital presence of the President of Education
- Manage the relationships with outside firms, vendors and consultants required to execute their role, as well as counterparts at partner organizations
- Staff the President of Education for public events and other instances as needed
- Develop supporting materials required in their work, including media outreach plans, talking points, press statements, etc.
- 5+ years of experience working in a high level, fast paced media environment
- Background in education-related communications is required
- On the record experience
- Expert in communications planning
- Working knowledge of education policy issues and education policy related media
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience working with high-profile leaders
- Candidates must be able to work in a collaborative, team oriented environment
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.