Software Engineer, Data - Science
Palo Alto, CA
The software engineers on the data team are in charge of designing, maintaining, and improving our data processing pipelines. Using the latest technologies in distributed and high throughput computing, you will work closely with applied scientists to bring the latest development in processing scientific research into the product. You will be responsible for creating and testing new features to support evolving requirements, implement new algorithms, and hold the data to the highest standards of quality.
This position is development focused, and requires a track record of working with big data technologies and expert coding skills. You will participate in daily scrums, following agile work development cycle, collaborate with members of the technical staff for planning, architecting, implementing, and testing processes.
- Design and implement pipelines for processing large amounts of data
- Implement, test, and evaluate solutions, working closely with Applied Scientists to bring the latest development to the product
- Generate detailed requirements and documentation, working closely with DevOps to ensure high quality of testable code in production
- Keep up to date with advances in Big Data and Distributed Systems, as related to the Data team’s roadmap
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of a ML computing pipeline
- Apply expert software development skills to a wide range of ML-related coding projects
- B.Sc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
- Excellent communication and organizational skills a must
- Excellent coding skills in C, C++, C#, Java and/or Scala
- Experience designing and implementing Big Data solutions in a highly distributed environment (Hadoop/Hbase/Pig or Mapreduce/Sawzall/Bigtable)
- Experience with Maven, SpringBoot, Apache Ignite, Lambda architecture, or similar technologies a plus
- Experience with filesystems, server architectures, and distributed systems a plus
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. We make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.