Software Engineer, Backend - Science
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. As our Infrastructure Engineer, you will work with stakeholders across all existing and future focus areas to conceptualize and define engineering projects and goals, as well as build and deploy software from the ground up. If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
The position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto headquarters.
- Design and build core, backend and shared software components
- Apply expert software development skills to a wide range of coding projects
- Work with very large (petabyte scale) data sets to design and implement solutions
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various system resources
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field
- 3+ years relevant coding experience
- Strong experience building large-scale server applications
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python, PHP, Ruby, or Perl
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Proven ability to independently define project requirements and ship products
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equal opportunity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.