System CAD Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the role
As our first System CAD Engineer, you will own the top level models for our pyrolyzers - these carbon removal machines make the bio-oil that we put back underground! You will be responsible for developing and implementing 3D design and drafting standards that ensure the quality of Charm’s models and engineering drawings. You will lead trainings and work closely with the team of engineers to integrate the chosen standards into practice. You will also work with company leads to develop model and drawing release workflows that result in quality end-products, encourage high levels of collaboration, and allow for seamless revisions. Your input on the setup of our PDM and PLM systems will be critical as we begin to parallelize our R&D and production efforts. If you join us, you can directly accelerate our hardware development iteration cycles, and enable us to remove even more carbon from the biosphere!
In this role, you will bring:
- Several years of experience working in CAD systems and collaborating with other engineers in a manufacturing environment
- Experience setting up and working within PDM and PLM systems
- Familiarity with industry best practices and standards
- Understanding of source control management
- Understanding of the importance of revision control
- A keen eye for quality control within solid models, drawings, and simulations
- An innovative and pragmatic approach to designing workflows
- Guidance to less experienced CAD users
These skills are a bonus, but not essential:
- You’ve brought products from development to production release
- Experience with the transition of Solidworks to Siemens NX
This role is located at our San Francisco, CA Minifactory and is not open for remote work. The salary range is $114-132k per year, plus benefits described below.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Medical and dental insurance
· Traditional and Roth 401k
· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches
· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.