Senior Manager - Chemical Engineering
San Francisco, CA /
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the role
At Charm, thermochemical processes are at the heart of our carbon removal technology, and we are looking for a senior manager to build out our Charm’s expertise in these areas.
As the Chemical Engineering Program Lead, you will be in a leadership position at Charm helping to set company direction and goals. You will be responsible for a mix of individuals and teams in the subdisciplines of Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Modeling, Process Engineering, and other domain specialities. You will support subject matter experts in the advancement of Charm’s pyrolysis and gasification efforts, as well as in their technical and leadership development. With a first-principles approach and expertise in chemistry, you will support process and systems engineers to develop improvements in the design and operation of our pilot plants. You will also work closely with the testing team to support the development and interrogation of our chemical models. Most importantly and best of all, your work will be critical in ensuring a better future for our planet!
In this role, you will bring:
- PhD in Physical Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience leading teams through new product development
- Experience building system from process model to plant commissioning tests
- Expertise in resource scheduling and program management of complex, interdisciplinary projects
- An impeccable safety record with a dedication to laboratory and facility safety
- Experience running or operating a chemical process plant
- Mentorship and guidance for managers and engineers
- Experience applying best practices regarding diversity, equity and inclusion when growing a team of outstanding scientists and engineers
These skills are a bonus, but not essential:
- You've knowledge of pyrolysis, gasification, or other thermal conversion processes
- You've experience with high temperature reactors and other chemical plant equipment
- You've worked with solids and/or fluid handling and associated equipment
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Medical and dental insurance
· Traditional and Roth 401k
· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches
· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.