Principal Scientist: Pyrolysis
San Francisco, CA /
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the role
As a Principal Scientist in Pyrolysis at Charm, you will push the state of the art of thermochemical conversion technology, all while helping us scale to a massive carbon removal business. Your input will directly improve the performance of our pyrolyzers, which is critical to scaling supply and enabling gigaton-scale carbon removal.
In this role, you will provide the technical know-how and deep expertise about pyrolysis and its resultant products to the greater Charm team! You will collaborate with a wonderful group of cross-functional engineers and fabricators to rapidly prototype, develop test plans, and execute experiments. You will see your ideas come to life in actual hardware in record time. If you’re excited about seeing pyrolysis take center stage in the effort to reverse climate change, this role is for you!
This role will report to Shaun Kinetic, our co-founder and Chief Scientist and be our in-house pyrolysis expert. The role will be a part of a team of other experts in their respective fields, such as metallurgy and gasification.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Poke holes in our process and then help quickly fill them back in!
- Identify key research areas and opportunities for novel solutions
- Participate in relevant conferences to represent Charm and our work
- Collaborate strategically with external labs, agencies, and research universities
- Keep Charm up to date on the latest and greatest technology in the field
- A depth of knowledge on pyrolysis, either through research or practical experience
- A keen understanding of pyrolysis oil, its behavior and its idiosyncrasies
- A strong grasp of thermal and fluids fundamentals
- A solid track record of safety & understanding of relevant engineering controls
These skills are a bonus, but not essential:
- Experience working on a pyrolysis system either commercially or in a lab
- Exposure to different types of pyrolysis and reactor designs
- Experience with chemical modeling and associated software
This role is located at either our San Francisco, CA Minifactory or our Fort Lupton, CO Miniforge, and is open to remote or hybrid-remote options for the right candidate. The salary range is $150-200k per year, plus benefits described below.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Medical and dental insurance
· Traditional and Roth 401k
· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches
· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.