Combustion Engineer: Gasification
Fort Lupton, CO /
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the role
Reversing climate change has its share of incredibly difficult problems, and we need the brightest and most creative hardware engineers to help us solve them. Come join Charm’s gasification R&D team, where you will be tasked with designing, building and testing systems for our gasifier - the machine that converts bio-oil into a reducing gas for iron making!
We are looking for a Combustion Engineer to help us design our core ironmaking technology! If you’re excited about thermal conversion, kinetics, and designing unique combustion solutions, this role is for you!
You’ll design a system that efficiently converts bio-oil into an energy rich syngas. We're looking for someone with a deep understanding of mechanical systems as well as combustion, who can lead a team of engineers, and who has a focus on safe, robust designs and testing. You'll collaborate with the rest of the team on critical interfaces and high-level systems design. You'll put your hardware through test situations early and often, to ensure consistency and stability in the field. Best and most importantly, your hardware will be critical in ensuring a pathway to carbon negative steel, and a better future for our planet.
- Designing bio-oil combustion equipment, including nozzles, mixers, and combustion chambers
- Maintaining and designing CFD combustion models
- Working with mechanical and test engineers to build, test, and study the combustion equipment you design
In this role, you will bring:
- An expertise designing combustion reactions and equipment
- An understanding of emissions control and monitoring solutions
- Experience selecting and designing, building, testing and debugging hardware
- A familiarity with safety best practices
- An excitement for hands-on work
- A willingness to manage vendors and do your own procurement
- Mentorship and guidance for more junior engineers
- A collaborative approach to designing and problem-solving
These skills are a bonus, but not essential:
- Experience designing, or working with low energy density, and high viscosity fuels
- Experience designing liquid thermal conversion and/or propulsion systems
- You've some knowledge of pyrolysis, gasification or other thermal conversion processes
- Yaybahar instrument experience, Friday afternoons are primarily for band practice just in case this whole CDR thing doesn't work out.
This role is located at our Fort Lupton, CO Miniforge, and is not open for remote work. The salary range is $98-130k per year, plus benefits described below.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Medical and dental insurance
· Traditional and Roth 401k
· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches
· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.