Senior Mechanical Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the role
We’re looking for a seasoned mechanical engineer who can support our efforts towards scaling our pyrolyzer system throughput by 5-7x. The three most pressing areas of scaling development are the biomass metering system, the reactor, and the oil-gas separator. As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Charm, you'll be in charge of driving progress in one or two of these crucial scaling endeavors. This role will collaborate closely with our research team, who are busy creating models to measure key parameters for the scale-up. Your role involves translating these models into reality, including (but not limited to) assembling mockups and physical hardware alongside our fabrication and electrical engineering teams. In addition, you'll serve as a valuable resource for fellow mechanical engineers, offering design reviews and active brainstorming sessions.
- You’ll serve as a senior engineering resource on the SF Pyrolysis team, which is currently responsible for sustaining the current pyrolyzer in the field as well as scaling our pyrolyzer systems throughput capacity by 5-7x
- You'll also be responsible for designing components of the scaled up pyrolyzer, using data from hands-on testing and the Research team’s models
- You will also participate in on-site unit and system testing in San Francisco.
- You'll be responsible for the design, build, and quick, efficient testing of mock ups of components of the scaled system
- In building those mockups, you'll collaborate across departments, particularly with the fabrication and electronics teams, to ensure seamless implementation of mockup designs.
- You'll contribute to delivering the scaled pyrolyzer design to a contract manufacturer and validate its scaled functionality through further testing.
- You'll play an active role in shaping the scaling roadmap of this pyrolysis technology
- Seasoned mechanical engineering experience
- Proficiency in CAD, particularly Solidworks
- Familiarity with GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing)
- Basic knowledge of fabrication techniques
- Understanding of electromechanical systems
- Hands-on experience in engineering projects
- Strong communication skills for effectively conveying priorities and collaborating cross-functionally
- An excitement for scaling up hardware that has the potential to positively impact climate change!
Bonus, if You Bring:
- Chemical process equipment design experience
- Experience with thermal systems
- Prior experience in managing or mentoring junior engineers
- Familiarity with solids handling processes is also considered a plus
$135,000 - $175,000 a year
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.