Senior Mechanical Engineer - Research
San Francisco, CA
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced mechanical engineer who can support our efforts toward research and evaluation of pyrolysis reactor technologies through calculations, modeling, and experiments. This role will interface with cross-functional teams including fabrication, electronics, test, and development. This role includes the design, fabrication, and testing of part or whole pyrolysis systems including reactor, condenser, and burners. This role will also serve as a resource to other mechanical engineers. It will be common for other engineers to ask for a design review, or brainstorm actively with you.
- You will serve as a senior engineering resource on the SF Research team, which is currently responsible for evaluating alternative pyrolysis technologies.
- You will be responsible for designing parts of a test system, overseeing fabrication and installation, creating test matrices, and using data from testing to evaluate performance.
- In building those test systems, you’ll interface cross-functionally with fabrication and electronics resources to see these designs through to fruition.
- You will play an active role in shaping and scaling our roadmap for pyrolysis technology.
- Experienced mechanical engineering experience
- CAD knowledge is a must, we use Solidworks
- Familiar with GD&T, familiar with basic fabrication techniques
- Familiarity with electromechanical systems
- Experience with fluids and thermodynamics
- Experience with modeling
- Ability to communicate priorities and work cross-functionally
- An excitement for hardware that has the potential to positively impact climate change!
Bonus (but not required)
- Chemical process equipment design experience
- Experience with fluid and/or thermal systems
- Managed/mentored junior engineers previously
- Experience with solids handling is a plus
- CFD or FEA experience
$130,000 - $160,000 a year
The anticipated salary range is $130-$160K, dependent on factors such as experience within the job, within the industry, education, etc.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.