San Francisco / Fort Lupton, CO /
Business & Operations /
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
Charm Industrial is looking for a Site Operations Lead to join our team. In this position, you will bridge between engineering, facilities, manufacturing and field operations. You will develop an understanding of each function's unique site needs because you’ll be responsible for designing, executing, and troubleshooting site work from Day 1. We're growing quickly and over time you will be expected to manage all aspects of facilities and site readiness to enable Gigaton-scale carbon removal and have strategic input on items like site expansion. The ideal candidate will blend strategic thinking and team building with their technical ability, and excel in fast paced environments with hands on problem solving skills.
- Manage build outs and major upgrades at Charm facilities including installation of additional office space and bathrooms at our facilities in both Fort Lupton, CO and San Francisco, CA. Schedule, oversee and assist contractors’ work for build outs and major upgrades.
- Design, manage execution, and help troubleshoot day-to-day projects with facilities technicians and managers. For example: installation of mobile chemistry labs, installation of robust, outdoor work spaces including tents with utilities (power, water, compressed air), automated sprinkler systems that meet the requirements for process safety. Proactively identify needs and bridge gaps between engineering, facilities and construction to accelerate timelines or improve the quality and usefulness of the finished work.
- Define and implement site requirements for mobile pyrolyzer deployments including pad leveling, utility availability and site safety. Act as the intermediary for landowner or host (e.g. farmer, the US Forest Service, or other public landowners) and Charm’s field operations team.
- Manage and build a high performance team of project managers, facilities managers, and facilities technicians as Charm’s operations grow.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or demonstrable, applied engineering experience.
- Successful performance completing capital projects on-time, on-spec and on-budget, including management of General Contractors and regular engagement with architectural, structural, and MEP subcontractors.
- 4+ years experience in facilities, construction or manufacturing project management.
- Enthusiastic about safety and worksite cleanliness and willing to hold others accountable.
- Experience managing an industrial facility or fabrication shop would be considered an asset.
- Ability to collaborate with teammates with a wide range of experience and knowledge.
- Have a proactive, professional and “can do” attitude.
- Desire to wear multiple hats with an organized, efficient working style.
- A demonstrated passion for contributing to our mission.
This role can be located at our Fort Lupton, CO Miniforge, or our San Francisco Minifactory and is not open for remote work. Compensation is $107K to $147K per year, plus benefits described below.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Medical and dental insurance
· Traditional and Roth 401k
· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches
· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.