Land Mobile Radio Systems Technician
McLean, Virginia /
Service Delivery – Federal Protective Service /
Chartis Federal is a systems engineering and integration firm that specializes in mission-critical IT and communications for law enforcement, homeland security, and defense. We have served as the prime contractor for over $150M of task order awards, and today have more than 80 staff in 17 states providing services and solutions across the globe. With year-over-year growth, Chartis has been a member of the Washington Technology FAST 50 two times and ranked on the Inc. 5000 five consecutive years. Our mission is to keep America’s heroes safe and connected – on the battlefield, on the border, and in our backyards.
As the LMR Systems Technician for our Federal Protective Service (FPS) Tactical Communications (TACCOM) Support Services (TCSS) contract, you will be part of a team that develops and delivers innovative solutions supporting FPS’ nationwide land-mobile radio (LMR system). You will work on the FPS TACCOM Engineering Team that oversees and drives all technical initiatives for the FPS TACCOM system. Technical aspects include but are not limited to LMR Project 25 (P25) Core Systems, RF Systems, networking technologies and protocols, and network monitoring.
- Operations & Maintenance Support (40%): Provide operations and maintenance (O&M) support for mission-critical communications systems including troubleshooting, isolating, and resolving issues such as loss of communications, degradation of service and network outages.
- Coordination & Communication (30%): Work with government, contractors, vendors, service providers, integrators, and other stakeholders to develop, communicate, and implement TACCOM System requirements. Interface with high-ranked government officials to present technical information briefs, whitepapers, or proposed design solutions on an as-needed basis.
- Documentation & Training (20%): Develop and maintain system documentation including but not limited to as is system drawings, proposed system drawings, network topology drawings, system design documents, system IP addressing plans, system security documents, concept of operations (ConOps) documents, and test and evaluation plans. Develop training materials on systems & procedures and work with stakeholders on delivery and execution of training.
- Technical Solution Consultation and Implementation (10%): Provide technical leadership for enterprise communication projects, including developing strategies, formulating concepts, providing recommendations, and leading implementation efforts. Integrate, test, and evaluate systems, sub-systems, software, and interfaces to meet requirements and implement wireless technology solutions to solve communication problems.
- Bachelor’s degree + 8 years of relevant experience. Candidates without degrees may be considered with 12+ years of experience.
- Possess a strong understanding of wired and wireless communications systems and technologies including but not limited to: RF (HF, VHF, UHF), SATCOM, Cellular (4G, LTE, 5G), Microwave, 802.x.
- Possess a strong understanding of network technologies including but not limited to: IPv4, L2TPv3, Routing Protocols (BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, Static), SNMP, IPsec, VPNs, MPLS, and VRFs.
- Possess a strong understanding of large LMR deployments including technologies such as repeaters, receivers, comparators, P25 Core components, code plug development, subscriber units, and mobile command vehicles.
- Possess a strong understanding of telecommunications equipment and technologies including but not limited to: telephony systems, VoIP, PBS, fiber cabling/termination/splicing, and copper cabling/punch-downs.
- Possess an understanding of the Motorola 7.X Astro P25 Core System technologies.
- Possess an understanding of network monitoring platforms such as SolarWinds and Motorola Unified Events Manager (UEM).
Security Clearance / Background Investigation
- Must be able to pass a background investigation and obtain a Public Trust clearance.
Chartis is an equal opportunity employer and employs qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification proscribed under applicable law. We participate in E-Verify.