Senior Software Engineer - Platform
Technology – Software Engineering
Launched in 2012, Checkout.com is a leading international provider of online payment solutions. Checkout.com is built on 100% proprietary technology and handles every part of the payment process, providing complete transparency across the entire payment value chain.
We currently process 150+ currencies and offer access to all international cards and popular local payment methods to merchants through one integration.
Customers in our portfolio include international businesses like Samsung, Transferwise, Hopper, Virgin and Adidas. Our mission is to partner with smart businesses to optimise their payments, increase revenue and meet the dynamic needs of their customers.
We are building a unique work environment where our people aspire to solve complex problems and deliver valuable solutions. We believe that excellence can be achieved through a dynamic culture driven by collaboration and teamwork.
In May 2019, we raised $230m in what is Europe’s largest ever fintech Series A round, and globally the third largest fintech Series A round of all time. This fundraising round gave us a valuation of around $2 billion.
About the Role
This role will include elements of architecture, strategy, and implementation focused primarily on back-end services, data storage architecture, and distributed systems in general. You will work on platform level services, libraries, patterns, and strategic initiatives designed to improve the engineering practices across all of our products.
The ideal candidate is independent and can research the latest and greatest in architecture, technologies, best practices, and is trusted to make great decisions. They should be passionate about patterns and architectures that are simple, highly scalable, and reliable.
About the Team – Core Platform and Scalability
The Platform and Scalability team is focused on platform level strategy and architecture across all of our engineering teams. We are interested in topics like logging and metrics, scalability, reliability, engineering efficiency, and infrastructure design. We are here to ensure that as Checkout.com grows, our products and services scale with ease, performance is predictable, and engineers have time to focus on product development rather than working on live-ops.
- Perform R&D on new technologies, produce thoughtful arguments on future tech decisions.
- Design, develop, and deliver POCs which show best practices or demonstrate new technologies.
- Collaborate with globally distributed and multidisciplinary teams on platform level initiatives (e.g. logging, metrics, alerting, shared infrastructure)
- Champion engineering best practices across multiple teams.
- Produce documentation on all topics related to engineering standards and architecture and promote these across other engineering teams.
- Temporarily embed within teams where necessary to mentor/instruct engineers on Checkout.com wide shared libraries and common practices.
- Contribute and adhere to our API coding standards, best practices, and procedures
- Enjoy learning new skills and using the best tools for the job
- Solid experience in Software Development, Design and Architecture
- Strong knowledge and application of software design patterns
- Strong experience with .NET Core and ASP.NET Core
- Excellent practical knowledge of OOP concepts and SOLID principles
- Solid understanding of HTTP and RESTful design
- Hands-on experience with SQL and NoSQL
- Experience with Unit and Integration testing
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Deployment workflows
- Cloud-based application development experience
- Superb communication skills, ability to interact effectively with multidisciplinary teams
- Fluent in English and C#
... and the "nice to have"
- AWS experience beneficial
- Experience with Couchbase
- CI/CD TeamCity, Octopus
- Experience with cross product event-driven microservice architecture
- Docker experience
- Experience of working in a compliance environment
- Scalability and high throughput software
- Finance/payments experience
Checkout.com is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Due to the numerous amount of application received, only the ones corresponding to this job profile will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within 3 weeks please deem your application as unsuccessful.