Principal Data Engineer
Technology – Data Engineering /
We're building the connected finance businesses deserve. Unleashing them with tomorrow's technology, today. Our flexible payments solutions help global enterprises — like Samsung, Deliveroo and Adidas — launch new products and create experiences customers love. And it's not just what we build that makes us different. It's how.
We liberate smart, passionate people to collaborate, innovate and do their best work — faster. That's why we're one of the most valuable fintech firms around. But we're just getting started. By cutting through financial complexity, we'll empower companies to change the world. Join us. Unlock your potential.
Build tomorrow, today.
Principal Data Engineer at Checkout.com
Checkout.com is looking for an ambitious Principal Data Engineer to join our Data Platform Team. Our team’s mission is to ultimately provide all the tools/platforms which will ensure data is an asset that can be easily leveraged to the benefit of our products, merchants, and internal stakeholders/teams.
Our focus should be on maximizing the amount of time other teams spend on solving business problems/innovating their products and minimizing time spent on technical details around implementation, deployment, and monitoring of their data-driven solutions.
We are building for scale. As such, much of what we design and implement today will be the technology/infrastructure which will serve hundreds of teams and petabyte-level volumes of data.
What you will be doing
- Work with stream processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis) to build a continuously available large-scale event streaming platform
- Build tooling (SDKs/DSLs) and associated documentation to drive the adoption of the streaming platform by enabling upstream teams and systems to easily publish data whilst ensuring it can be consumed through different mechanisms: Kinesis/Kafka itself, kSQL, Snowflake, ElasticSearch, S3, DynamoDB, etc
- Implement all the necessary infrastructures which allow self-healing as well as clear, intuitive, and observable monitoring of data ingestion, and consumption through Datadog
- Apply data security and governance strategies (schema registry/management, encryption, ACL’s, GDPR/PCI compliance) whilst still enabling end-users to solve their engineering and business problems
- Participate, translate, run and execute the collection of requirements and architecture/design initiatives into action plans
- Leverage subject matter and technical expertise to provide leadership, mentoring, and strategic influence across the organization whilst building strong relationships with engineers and managers
- Strong engineering background with an interest in data
- Hands-on experience working with stream technologies (Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar, RabbitMQ) as well as stream processing frameworks (kSQL, Kinesis Data Analytics, Flink)
- Extensive experience working with cloud-based technologies such as AWS (S3, Lambda, ECS, SNS) or Azure (Event Hub, ADLS, Polybase, ADF) or on-premise (Hadoop)
- Experience with SQL databases and key-value stores (NoSQL)
- Experience working with Docker, container deployment, and management
- Experience describing infrastructure as code (Terraform or similar) as well as designing and implementing CI/CD pipelines
- Excellent programming skills with at least one of Python, Java, Scala, and C#
Nice to have
- Familiarity with Snowflake
- Familiarity with dbt
- Familiarity with any workflow management solution (Airflow, Prefect, Oozie, etc)
What we stand for
At Checkout.com, everything starts with our values, including the experience we offer our people.
We supercharge your professional growth with career development programs and leadership training. You can learn your way, with tailored pathways and online platforms. And be inspired at relevant conferences.
We don't stop at 'good' here. We strive for excellence amongst our teams every day and recognize colleagues who take it to the next level through our quarterly peer-nominated Hero awards.
We're proud of our global connections and inclusive environment. So we champion this through our colleague-led community groups and celebrate many cultural events together.
Want to see us in action?
More about Checkout.com
We empower businesses to adapt, innovate and thrive with the connected payments they deserve. Our technology makes payments seamless. We provide the fastest, most reliable payments in more than 150 currencies, with in-country acquiring, world-class fraud filters and reporting, through one API. And we can accept all major international credit and debit cards, as well as popular alternative and local payment methods. Checkout.com launched in 2012, and we now have a team of 1000 people across 17 international offices. To date, we’ve raised a total of $830 million, with our recent Series C valuing us at $15 billion.
We believe in equal opportunities
Checkout.com is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We believe that employing a diverse workforce is the right thing to do and is central to our success.