Commercial Legal Counsel
Operations – Legal
Launched in 2012, Checkout.com is a leading international provider of online payment solutions. Checkout.com is built on 100% proprietary technology and handles every part of the payment process, providing complete transparency across the entire payment value chain.
We currently process 150+ currencies and offer access to all international cards and popular local payment methods to merchants through one integration.
Customers in our portfolio include international businesses like Samsung, Transferwise, Hopper, Virgin and Adidas. Our mission is to partner with smart businesses to optimise their payments, increase revenue and meet the dynamic needs of their customers.
We are building a unique work environment where our people aspire to solve complex problems and deliver valuable solutions. We believe that excellence can be achieved through a dynamic culture driven by collaboration and teamwork.
In May 2019, we raised $230m in what is Europe’s largest ever fintech Series A round, and globally the third largest fintech Series A round of all time. This fundraising round gave us a valuation of around $2 billion.
About the role
Checkout.com is seeking a talented Commercial Legal Counsel to join our Legal and Compliance Team to support the business growth and expansion. The Legal Counsel’s main responsibility will be to draft, review and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements with suppliers, partners and customers. The Legal Counsel will also be expected to advise on regulatory matters including compliance with regulations as well as to produce and/or maintain a variety of internal policies and compliance related documents.
Reporting directly to our Deputy General Counsel and collaborating with all core functions within the company, the successful candidate will be able to handle multiple areas of responsibilities with minimal supervision, demonstrating excellent critical judgement with hands-on approach. This is a great opportunity to work on a broad range of projects across multiple jurisdictions and play a key role in supporting the company’s rapid growth.
- Draft, review and assist in negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements, including strategic partnerships, complex business deals, and customised sales contracts
- Resolve legal issues and contract interpretation matters that arise during negotiations
- Produce and/or maintain various standard agreements (e.g. NDA, supplier and customer agreement etc.)
- Advise on special projects as needed, including new product developments, while taking into consideration their legal and regulatory impact
- Advise on commercial legal issues and risks
- Conduct research on various multijurisdictional legal issues.
- Support the Company’s strategic projects and initiatives by providing creative, proactive and results orientated advice.
- Qualified Solicitor/Lawyer in the UK or another Common Law jurisdiction, with 3+ years PQE in-house or in a leading firm
- Finance or FinTech industry (e.g. payment institution, e-money institution, bank) preferred; software, telecoms, e-commerce or other IT industry background will also be considered.
- Prior in-house experience advantageous
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage a high volume of work
- Ability to work autonomously and independently with minimal guidance
- High level of written and interpersonal communication skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Be open-minded and willing to accept new challenges
- Fluency in English, fluency in another language highly valued
Checkout.com is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Due to the numerous amount of application received, only the ones corresponding to this job profile will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within 3 weeks please deem your application as unsuccessful.