Lead Data Engineer
Strategy – Business Intelligence
Launched in 2012, Checkout.com is a leading international provider of online payment solutions. Checkout.com is built on 100% proprietary technology and handles every part of the payment process, providing complete transparency across the entire payment value chain.
We currently process 150+ currencies and offer access to all international cards and popular local payment methods to merchants through one integration.
Customers in our portfolio include international businesses like Samsung, Transferwise, Hopper, Virgin and Adidas. Our mission is to partner with smart businesses to optimise their payments, increase revenue and meet the dynamic needs of their customers.
We are building a unique work environment where our people aspire to solve complex problems and deliver valuable solutions. We believe that excellence can be achieved through a dynamic culture driven by collaboration and teamwork.
In May 2019, we raised $230m in what is Europe’s largest ever fintech Series A round, and globally the third largest fintech Series A round of all time. This fundraising round gave us a valuation of around $2 billion.
About the Role
Checkout.com is looking for an ambitious Lead Data Engineer to guide part of our BI Data Team. Having built an amazing Payments Service Provider, we are now putting our efforts forward to develop state-of-the-art Analytical and Data Science capabilities.
As the Lead Data Engineer you will build and maintain data models and pipeline solutions using a variety of technologies and programming languages. While also being responsible for identifying and coaching the next generation of leaders within your team; routinely assessing their performance and goals and providing constructive feedback for growth.
The candidate should be comfortable using various technologies, open source software, off the shelf software or Cloud solutions. Our Data Engineers are working closely with Data Scientists, Data Analysts and Business Intelligence Analysts, to provide the information and improvements the company is looking for. A candidate with a strong data warehousing background, capable of taking our best practices to the next level: including automation, code generation, CI/CD and testing would be advantageous.
- To lead the advancement of our Data Warehousing Roadmap through prioritisation and resource allocation
- To collaborate with our Data Architect and VP BI to promote a data culture and tools adoption across the company through all relevant frameworks, processes, materials, trainings and ad-hoc interactions
- To advise and provide on-going support for developed BI technical architecture and Data Services
- To write and advise on best practice for internal documentation regarding each delivery
- To engage key stakeholders to explain our capabilities and understand their requirements through daily communication
- To guide and collaborate with the team of Data Engineers and our Data Architect in facilitating and contributing to product innovation through regular BI team brainstorming sessions
- Technical expertise with Python, Bash or .NET
- Extensive experience with Cloud and Analytics technologies on AWS like S3 and streaming engines: Kinesis or Kafka
- Advanced SQL skills
- Experience with Snowflake is a strong advantage
- Experience with working with large datasets and workflow optimisation
- Strong Data warehousing experience (Kimball Dimensional or Data Vault methodology is a strong advantage)
- Experienced in solution design; creative and innovative engineer who can also follow best practices
- Demonstrate an ability to lead and manage an effective team of direct reports
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
...and the "nice to haves"
- Experience with Apache Spark
- Experience with Agile and Scrum methodologies
- Affinity with Airflow and dbt also an advantage
- Experience with automation and templating engines
- BI Reporting experience (Looker is an advantage)
- Experience with data modelling tools and building data dictionaries
Checkout.com is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Due to the numerous amount of application received, only the ones corresponding to this job profile will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within 3 weeks please deem your application as unsuccessful.