Senior Data Engineer
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
Are you looking to get in on the ground floor as a founding member of a world-class data team? Do you want to influence technology choices and direction? If having an immediate impact on ChowNow’s business sounds good, then we might have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 14,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As a Senior Data Engineer at ChowNow, you’ll be part of the Data Engineering team within the Data & Analytics department. You’ll be responsible for ChowNow’s data platform, built on AWS and Snowflake. You will build and support solutions that ingest, transform and empower the consumption of high quality data for analytics and other key operational workflows throughout the company. This is a unique time to join a fast-growing data team that is developing a modern state-of-the-art data stack, has executive sponsorship, and contributes directly to the company strategy, business growth and product development.
Reports to Director of Data Engineering
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Get to know the current state of data at ChowNow, from original source to the data warehouse to visualization and data science
- Work closely with the data science and business teams to understand needs and use cases
- Learn ChowNow’s engineering practices by contributing a change to the code base
- Learn ChowNow’s analytics practices by making a table in the DWH and a dashboard
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- Contribute changes to the data pipeline and transformations to improve availability, quality and consumption of data
- Work with the Director of Data Engineering to plan for the future of the ChowNow data platform
- Understand the other data sources in use by the various customers across the business (starting with the data science team), improvement opportunities and new data to make accessible
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- Partner with Data Science to deliver insights for a key company initiative
- Create or enhance pipelines to handle event data in near real time
- Help shape the tech stack for our new, modern data platform
- Incorporate a new data source into the data warehouse
- Identify and act on opportunities to improve the availability, accuracy, timeliness, and accessibility of the data platform
You Should Apply If:
- You have experience building ETL pipelines into a data warehouse and event layer
- Your SQL and relational DB experience is excellent (Snowflake is a plus)
- You are strong in at least one major programming language (Python is a plus)
- You enjoy iterative, agile-like development process with frequent releases
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside the Data & Analytics team
- You make decisions based on data and evidence
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others
- You’re excited about new technologies and spend time staying up to date in the industry
- You have a passion for fitting pragmatic solutions to problems
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.