Los Angeles, CA
Are you looking for an opportunity to put your deep experience with AWS to use? Are you eager to contribute to the shaping and direction of a DevOps team? Do you love the challenge of removing bottlenecks in development and deployment processes? If scalability and stability are your thing, then we may have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Position:
As a DevOps Engineer at ChowNow, you will be specifically responsible for building, improving, and growing our technology infrastructure. You will help design and implement reproducible processes in the enterprise environment as well as support the application production environment. You will own and support engineering user-facing technology as well as share responsibility for supporting the production environment.
You will work from our Los Angeles Headquarters, and report to the VP of Engineering; No direct reports.
A one-of-a-kind workplace on a mission to preserve one-of-a-kind food.
ChowNow is on a mission to help local, independent restaurants thrive. Because of the vitality they bring to our neighborhoods and cities. Because of the amazing, one-of-a-kind food they create. And because the restaurant business is tougher than ever -- thanks to increasing competition, complexity, and the rise of third-party delivery services that gouge restaurants on every sale.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee, regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
We pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 11,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase.
If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk. Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent) and by browsing our open roles at chownow.com/careers. Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 30 Days, You’ll..
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Begin to learn and contribute to our development and deployment patterns.
- Begin contributing to our release process, log analysis, security patching, AWS VPC network architecture, and high availability by advancing our Terraform and Ansible codebase through writing code and documentation.
Within 60 Days, You’ll..
- Work with engineering leadership to plan the prioritized roadmap of DevOps and Infrastructure projects.
- Share responsibility for defining, sharing, and achieving team and individual KPI goals.
- Observe and participate in the interview process of prospective team members.
Within 90 Days, You’ll..
- Share ownership of technology architecture review board.
- Be a knowledge leader, contributing teaching and continuing to learn.
- Have a command of infrastructure tools and processes, and be able to contribute to refining them.
- Be able to take active part in shaping DevOps roadmap by proposing new projects and defining priorities
Within 1 Year, You'll..
- Contribute to building world-class monitoring, alerting and logging solutions for our platform
- Become the owner of a number of other tools, platforms, and processes, taking them to next level
- Help us walk through PCI level 1 compliance
You Should Apply If:
- 3+ years of experience with DevOps practices
- 5+ years of overall infrastructure management experience
- 3+ years AWS experience, including but not limited to EC2, RDS, Route 53, and auto-scale
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, Python preferred
- Solid understanding of Linux operating systems, ideally Debian or Ubuntu, and networking fundamentals.
- Solid knowledge of at least one of the major configuration management and automation frameworks (Ansible preferred)
- Hands on experience running highly available MySQL, ElasticSearch or Redis
- Hands on experience setting up and maintaining monitoring, alerting and logging solution
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines, qa/development environments and related tools
- Experience creating scalable systems, preferably in e-commerce or consumer-facing websites.
- Familiarity with modern virtualization techniques and container management solutions such as Docker.
- Enthusiastic contributor to high-level architecture
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.