Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
Are you looking for an opportunity to build iOS applications that connect thousands of users to local restaurants every day? Do you love the challenge of streamlining restaurant’s operations?
If collaborating with different teams to iterate on the products you are contributing to is your thing.
Then we might have the perfect opportunity for you.
Our Product and Technology
ChowNow’s mobile applications are built in Kotlin & Swift with Gradle and Cocoapods as our dependencies managers. We monitor our apps with Fabric, Embrace IO and New Relic. Our designers work with Figma, they deliver and collaborate with the team via Zeplin. Our RESTful APIs are powered by Python, MySQL, and Redis supported by infrastructure-as-code environments on Amazon Web Services.
About the Position:
We are looking to expand our mobile team with an iOS engineer who will love building user-centered, reliable mobile experiences. ChowNow is building an ecosystem that helps local restaurants find new customers, consolidate their brand and improve their operations. You will contribute to make technical decisions and iterate on ChowNow’s marketplace, white label and restaurant tablet applications. You will join our growing product team where you will collaborate to solve complex problems with a “quality product first” approach. You will be involved from design to delivery of new features and be responsible for measuring the success of the product.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 18,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 3 months you'll...
- Build, launch, and support your first big feature in one of our many products. We ship with iterative agility.
- Master development patterns and collaborative processes. We work together to make work efficient.
- Write internal documentation and test your features and systems. We take responsibility for communication and quality.
- Develop meaningful relationships with all contributors to our product and technology development. Our mantra is collaboration and inclusion.
Within 6 months you'll...
- Have made a valued impact on multiple products across our platform. We celebrate our success by measuring our impact, internally and externally.
- Understand major feature areas of our mobile applications and be comfortable switching from one to the other.
- Have participated in the architecture and implementation of new user-facing features. We communicate and collaborate on our architecture to achieve security, scalability, and maximum learning.
- Provide feedback during code-reviews of prospective engineers and listen in on telephone screening. We will teach you our interviewing methods.
Within 12 months you'll...
- Build within reliable estimates. We know this takes time, and we strive to be accurate with each other.
- Feel comfortable as a knowledge leader, teaching others and continuing to learn. We want to learn as much as we teach.
- Be an essential part of growing our team by fully participating in the hiring interview process. We share responsibility to grow our team.
You Should Apply If:
- You have built, designed and implemented a large piece of an iOS application, and would like to put your experience into building ChowNow’s platform.
- You have experience building applications using Swift
- You value beautiful and pixel perfect UI
- You make decisions based on data and evidence
- You enjoy iterative, agile development process with frequent releases
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code
- You have experience with various iOS libraries and tooling
- You find excitement in learning new business models and transferring such knowledge into beautiful software design
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside the engineering team towards common goals
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any legally protected status.