Senior Billing Manager
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
About the Position:
As the Senior Billing Manager, you’ll play a key leadership role in the Accounting department, managing our team of Billing Specialists and ensuring that our customers are invoiced and charged accurately and on a timely basis. You will play a critical role in the monthly close process. You will also be responsible for staffing and training your team. You’ll help us keep pace with our fast-growing list of clients and expanding product catalogue. This role reports directly to the Controller.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. At the same time, we are rapidly expanding our entirely commission-free marketplace to support local restaurants nationwide. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Specifically, you will:
- Manage billing functions including review of complex transactions, ensuring daily bill runs are completed timely and accurately, and appropriate collections have been made.
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with key stakeholders in Sales, Onboarding, Client Performance, Finance, and Accounting
- Lead operational improvement initiatives to further streamline revenue operations process and shorten the revenue close calendar
- Manage all customer inquiries, own customer billing cycle from sales order to cash collection to revenue recognition, ensuring all customer data is recorded accurately in NetSuite
- Review customer contracts, partnership agreements to determine proper revenue recognition and invoicing; develop reconciliation procedures, reports, and reconciliation schedules for customer aging and deferred/recognized revenue
- Own and manage month-end subscription revenue close by preparing all revenue account reconciliations and journal entries for all revenue and revenue-related areas including but not limited to: journal entries for revenue, deferred revenue, accounts receivable, and related accounts on a monthly basis, among others
- Refine and reinforce internal processes and standard operating procedures & SLAs for different scenarios
- Build upon our already high-performing team, nurture roles and responsibilities for the team, and structure them for success
- Partner with cross-functional teams to review or address bookings, billings and revenue recognition concerns for both standard and non-standard deal structures
- Implement best practices and processes to help company scale the deal review and billing functions to support company growth and new product strategies
- Serve as a subject matter expert in billing and deal review and provide guidance and insights on company-wide strategic initiatives and projects
- Partner with Business Systems and other functional teams to develop comprehensive and concise business requirements to help drive billing/revenue system solutions
- Drive efficiency and effectiveness by streamlining, standardizing and automating processes and reporting requirements from process/tools/system perspective
- Participate in enterprise wide billing/revenue related system implementations
- Provide mentorship to deal review/billing staff and cultivate a positive work culture
Within 30 days, you'll:
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Ramp Camp) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products
- Complete training with our IT Team and Accounting Team Leads; by the end of training you’ll be able to successfully navigate all internal tools, including Google Apps, Slack, Box, Salesforce, ChowNow Admin, NetSuite, Stripe, and SuiteSync
- Learn the basic customized processes in Salesforce, NetSuite, Stripe, and SuiteSync
- Familiarize yourself with QTC process for new subscriptions for both recurring and one-time products
- Familiarize yourself with the approval process for add-on subscriptions in Salesforce and the consequent actions to take in NetSuite
- Routinely interface with our Sales, Onboarding, and Client Performance departments to field questions from our customers
Within 60 days, you'll:
- Learn to identify and record failed payments per our merchant processor and reflect in NetSuite
- Learn the ins and outs of our payment processors (Stripe)
- Be proactive in identifying billing issues or problematic accounts
- Become familiar with the intricacies of our more advanced customized processes in Salesforce and NetSuite, including amending and terminating existing subscriptions, subscription renewals, upgrades, and downgrades, and redistributing recognized revenue per deferred revenue waterfalls, and termination and cancellation processes
Within 90 days, you'll:
- Own the monthly close process for subscription revenue by reconciling variances in revenue and cash reports provided by our Controller
- Publish monthly metrics including upgrades, downgrades, and MRR
- Master generating a variety of reports out of NetSuite
- Keep current on updates to NetSuite features as identified in periodic NetSuite announcements by attending Webinars and reading blog updates
You Should Apply If:
- You have 6+ years of experience working in a role in the technology/SaaS industry that required a mix of billing/analytics/process improvement
- You have a minimum of 2 years of experience managing a team of Billing professionals
- You have extensive systems knowledge with Salesforce and NetSuite is required; experience with SuiteBilling preferred
- You are Intermediate/advanced in Excel
- You have experience with implementing process automation, with the ability to implement best practices, scale business processes and team structure to match business growth
- You have experience managing multi-site, cross-country teams highly desired; must have the ability and desire to lead across different time zones
- You have demonstrated a broad understanding of quote to cash process, including deal desk, order management, collections, and revenue recognition
- You have solid planning and prioritization skills; with the ability to remain flexible and change priorities in a challenging and fast-paced environment
- You have a proven ability to independently take ownership and manage assigned tasks
- You have strong oral and written communication skills and customer service skills, as well as eagerness to learn and take on challenges in a rapidly growing and dynamic environment
- You’re comfortable working in a fast pace, growing accounting department that will look to you to help build scalable processes and procedures
- You have professional communication and attitude while reaching out to clients about their outstanding balances, current subscriptions, and charges/invoices
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Remote Work stipend
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.