Lead Data Engineer
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
Are you looking to get in on the ground floor as a founding member of a data team? Are you looking for an opportunity to influence technology choices and direction? If having an immediate impact on ChowNow’s business sounds good, then we might have the perfect opportunity for you.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 18,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As a Lead Data Engineer at ChowNow, you will be responsible for ChowNow’s central data ecosystem, built on AWS and Snowflake. You will have the opportunity to build a modern state-of-the-art data and analytics stack and be a thought leader for how data is consumed and workflows are scaled. You’ll have a direct impact on ChowNow’s business by ensuring continual data availability and quality as well as exploring new use cases (with analysts, scientists and business users as your customers). In addition, you will partner with Data and Analytics leadership to build a vision (and execute on it) for the future of data at ChowNow.
Reports to VP of Data & Analytics.
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Get to know the current state of data at ChowNow, from original source to the data warehouse to visualization and reporting.
- Work closely with the Analytics and Business teams to understand needs and use cases
- Learn ChowNow’s engineering practices by contributing a change to the code base.
- Learn ChowNow’s analytics practices by making a table in the DWH and a dashboard
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- Take ownership of the current data warehouse and ETL process
- Contribute changes to the data pipeline and transformations to improve availability, quality and consumption of data.
- Plan for the future of the ChowNow data platform (consolidation, transformation and use cases for consumption)
- Understand the other data sources in use by the various customers across the business (starting with the Analytics team)
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- Take ownership of all data ingestion code
- Identify and take ownership of core data transformations
- Propose and begin working towards overall data architecture improvements
- Begin building out the world class Data team
You Should Apply If:
- You have experience building ETL pipelines into a data warehouse and event layer
- You have experience with using Python in a production environment.
- Your SQL and relational DB experience is excellent (Snowflake is a plus)
- You have experience with AWS technologies
- You are able to gather data from a variety of sources and interfaces, including REST APIs
- You have experience working in a high-volume data environment such as e-commerce and SaaS environments
- 6+ years data management, data engineer or analytics engineer experience (practical non-data engineering experience is also valued)
- 1+ years of experience in people management (or proven ability and passion to manage people)
- You enjoy iterative, agile-esc development process with frequent releases
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside the Data & Analytics team
- You make decisions based on data and evidence
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others
- You are excited about new technologies and spend time staying up to date in the industry
- You have experience and passion to fitting pragmatic solutions to problems (building, open source, vendor)
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.