Engineering Manager, DevOps Team
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
About the Position
As the DevOps Engineering Manager at ChowNow, you and your team will contribute to platform infrastructure, help improve platform stability and scalability, facilitate developer productivity, build tooling for the engineering team, implement deployment pipelines, monitor and troubleshoot issues, implement security, and be a guide for DevOps best practices. You will hire, mentor, motivate, encourage and lead your team to success, by finding growth opportunities, providing constructive feedback, and providing challenges and support to get the best out of your team.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
This is an 80/20 management and hands-on role.
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Complete the ChowNow New Hire Ramp Camp.
- Learn about major feature areas of our applications and infrastructure and their development and deployment patterns.
- Get to know the team - join the Engineering Leadership team sessions, start 1:1s with your team, and meet key players across the organization.
- Gain an understanding of what skills the team needs, where there may be gaps, and begin to work with Recruiting.
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Make your first hire! The Engineering organization at ChowNow is growing, and the DevOps team needs to keep pace.
- Take full ownership of ChowNow platform infrastructure.
- Shape the DevOps roadmap by proposing new projects, managing existing projects, participating in the review of new architectural designs, and prioritizing work.
- Set goals and track team accomplishments and progress against goals.
Within 6 months you’ll:
- Be the primary representative for all things infrastructure and DevOps at ChowNow, helping to transform our platform using microservices.
- Help the Engineering team evolve how we support services in production, advocating for a DevOps mindset.
- Work closely with vendors and service providers that are integrated into the platform, ensuring monitoring and service are top notch.
- Contribute to building world-class monitoring, alerting, and logging.
- Participate in PCI level 1 compliance assessments.
You Should Apply If:
- You have at least 5 years of hands-on experience in infrastructure management, with 2+ years experience as a manager.
- You have experience building a high-performing DevOps team including organization planning, hiring, process, and performance management.
- You are a thoughtful mentor and leader who loves supporting your team and collaborating with others to achieve great things.
- You have deep AWS knowledge, including EC2, ECS/Fargate, Lambda, API Gateway, and Cloudfront, and hands-on experience managing highly available relational databases (RDS), ElasticSearch, and Elasticache.
- You know how to partner with software engineering teams to build and support products in an Agile environment.
- You consider security to be an integral part of the infrastructure.
- You are proficient in at least one programming language, Python preferred.
- You have knowledge of at least one of the major configuration management and automation frameworks (Ansible/Terraform preferred).
- You have experience setting up and maintaining monitoring, alerting, and logging.
- You have built CI/CD pipelines, QA/development environments and related tools.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience.
- A remote first culture and monthly stipend offering flexibility to work where you want and how you want.
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.