Backend Engineering Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Are you a product-focused engineering leader passionate about building teams and software technology? Do you consider yourself a skilled and empathic manager? Do you enjoy leading people, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and improving software development practices? Have you mentored, coached and provided a clear framework for growth for your team members? We might have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Position
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our “quality product first” approach to engineering contributes to our success and brand recognition. We are growing our engineering team to meet the demand of the many exciting new products and features on our roadmap.
We’re looking for an experienced software engineering leader to join our growing engineering team. As the Backend Engineering Manager, you will help us launch reliable and stable products and support new initiatives to continuously improve the experience of our users. You will shape the product, the software architecture, the development process, and the culture. Most importantly, you will motivate, encourage and lead your team to success, by finding growth opportunities, providing constructive feedback, and combining challenge and support to get the best out of your colleagues.
This is an 80/20 management and hands-on role. You will report to the VP of Engineering.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 14,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 1 month, you’ll…
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Ramp Camp) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products.
- Get to know people - the Backend team as well as the rest of the Engineering organization, Product, and Design.
- Join team stand-ups, sprint planning, grooming, and more in order to get familiar with the overall product and team processes.
- Take on a small coding task to familiarize yourself with the end to end development process.
- Spend deep dive time with the team to learn more about the core products and how they all fit together.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Through 1:1s and team sessions, start to understand your team members’ areas of strength and opportunity, in order to be able to provide career guidance and performance reviews.
- Understand how business goals and PCI compliance affect our internal processes.
- Understand the current hiring roadmap, squad assignments, and think about future team needs.
- Learn about the BE technology roadmap and collaborate with others on interweaving this with the product roadmap.
- Develop strong relationships with Engineering Leadership and Product peers.
- Review product requirements and design documents, perform code reviews and weigh in on implementation choices.
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Collaborate on defining high-level technology roadmap addressing tech debt, product roadmap, and other needs.
- Provide on-going constructive feedback and guidance to your team members and as part of performance reviews.
- Support and collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure consistent application of engineering practices.
- Lead evolution of software development process and practices supporting growth of the team and new product initiatives.
- Partner with the People & Culture Team on recruiting and mentoring your first hire.
- Establish team and individual OKRs and KPIs based upon company goals.
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Develop career growth paths for all team members.
- Level up a member of your team.
- Craft, document, and communicate our Backend team growth strategy.
- Contribute to building engineering culture based on collaboration, inclusion, support, measuring and tracking results, and constant improvement.
- Engage in local and virtual engineering and start-up communities to contribute to building a strong ChowNow engineering brand.
You should apply if:
- You have at least 5 years of software engineering experience, including at least 3 years experience as a technical leader.
- You have hands-on experience building scalable backend services.
- You have experience with the technologies in our stack, including Python and AWS.
- You have developed, launched and supported large scale B2B and B2C SaaS products.
- You have a passion for team building and a track record of recruiting, onboarding and fostering high-performing engineering teams.
- You know how to partner with Product, Design, QA and other Engineering Leaders to build compelling products in an Agile environment.
- You care about the quality of work your team produces.
- You can define metrics, instrument their measurement, and lead a team to hit them.
- You are a fan of rapid iteration and experimentation. You think about failures as a learning opportunity.
- You know how to capitalize on the diverse strengths of the people around you.
- You are a thoughtful mentor and leader who loves supporting your team and collaborating with others to achieve great things.
- You have a point of view but encourage and welcome critiques.
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others.
- You are passionate with a contagious energy, encouraging those around you to pursue their goals
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.