VP, Data and Analytics
Los Angeles, CA /
About the Position:
As our first VP of Data and Analytics, you will lead and grow a team of Business Insights Analysts and Data Engineers committed to building a data-informed culture at ChowNow.
You will help to define Analytics at ChowNow, while working closely with the Executive team to create an analytics strategy that best enables us to help independent restaurants grow their businesses. You will be responsible for building and executing on an analytics roadmap, as well as empowering self-service analytics across the organization. You will prioritize and provide direction on analytics projects, while ensuring that the team has all the necessary tooling and infrastructure to perform their work.
This is an exciting opportunity to help us grow our data organization. This role is for a self-starter and problem solver with incredible ability to influence others and work cross-functionally with nearly all teams. This person will play a key role in celebrating successes and acknowledging failures -- both as a team and as a company. We are currently processing over $500 million in annual food sales with over 6 million annual active diners, and are excited about where we are taking things from here!
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 16,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 30 days, you will:
- Progress through Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Spend time getting to know each of your direct reports and begin leading weekly team meetings and 1:1 sessions
- Familiarize yourself with the current data architecture and the platform/tooling used for analytics
- Meet with leadership and various stakeholders to better understand analytics needs across teams
Within 3 months, you will:
- Establish a high-level analytics roadmap and clearly define success metrics for the team
- Set team and individual OKRs based on company goals and personal development priorities
- Identify and operationalize the tracking of company-wide and department-specific KPIs (e.g. gross food sales, restaurant churn, diner retention, etc.)
Within 6 months, you will:
- Provide strategic data insights to help cross-functional leaders better understand both restaurants and diners
- Effectively communicate learnings and provide recommendations to the executive team to ensure that the company is on track to meet its goals
- Create career development plans and establish career progression paths to build a best-in-class analytics team
- Develop a staffing model to support the future growth of the team
Within 1 year, you will:
- Develop a clear vision for analytics that supports our company strategy
- Continue to foster a data-driven culture at ChowNow
You Should Apply If:
- You have at least 7-10 years of experience using analytics to support key business decisions at a technology company, management consultancy, or similar professional environment
- You have a minimum of 4+ years managing a data/analytics team
- You have experience leading cross-functional teams and communicating with leadership across various departments
- You have an ability to effectively manage multiple projects and stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- You have a willingness to challenge the status quo and lead innovation and operational excellence
- You have significant experience with SQL (PostgreSQL) and relational database concepts, ETL experience is a plus
- You have programming/statistical analysis experience in Python and/or R
- Snowflake and/or Redshift experience is a plus
- You have experience using one or more visualization tools (e.g. Mode Analytics, Tableau, Looker, etc.)
- You have familiarity with using Google Apps for Work and Microsoft Office
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A “best place to work” winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.