Engineering Manager, SDET Team
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
Are you a product-focused engineering leader passionate about building teams and software technology? Do you consider yourself a skilled and empathic manager? Do you enjoy leading people, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and improving software development practices? Have you mentored, coached and provided a clear framework for growth for your team members? We might have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Position:
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a reliable, stable, and modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our “quality product first” approach to engineering contributes to our success and brand recognition. We’ve reached the time when we need to grow and scale out our testing abilities to meet the demand of the many exciting new products and features on our roadmap.
As an SDET Manager at ChowNow, you will be responsible for a team of engineers and test automation framework that will have a big impact on our products and engineering teams as a whole. Your role will be split equally among people leadership (performance and growth management), delivery and execution, and hands-on development. You will be responsible for managing the discovery and high-level design phases of major automation initiatives as well as driving day-to-day execution of projects and delivering milestones. You will also be responsible for conducting code reviews and ensuring a standard of engineering excellence amongst your direct reports. The current stack utilizes Python, Jenkins, GitHub and BrowserStack for backend and browser test automation as we look to expand the framework for additional capabilities and integrations.
You will be reporting to the Head of Quality Engineering and directly managing a team of engineers on a dedicated test automation squad including a small SDET team offshore.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Complete your ChowNow new hire onboarding (Ramp Camp) and learn the ins and outs of ChowNow, our products, and our services.
- Review test automation requirements and design documents, perform code reviews and weigh in on implementation choices.
- Collaborate with QA Leads, engineers, and other engineering leaders on defining high-level technology roadmap.
- Define test automation KPIs (key performance indicators) and create dashboards to track progress.
- Contribute to the development of current test automation projects.
- Understand how business goals, PCI compliance, and other aspects affect our internal processes.
- Develop a hiring roadmap based on projected demand.
- Partner with the People & Culture Team on recruiting and mentoring your first hire.
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Support and collaborate with SDET and QA engineers to ensure consistent application of engineering practices.
- Provide guidance for new test automation development and automation architecture evolution.
- Lead evolution of software development process and practices supporting growth of the team and new product initiatives.
- Address at least one major initiative from your automation roadmap.
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Level up a member of your team.
- Develop career growth paths for all team members.
- Contribute to building an engineering culture based on collaboration, inclusion, support, measuring and tracking results, and constant improvement.
- Engage in local and virtual engineering and start-up communities to contribute to building a strong ChowNow engineering brand.
You should apply if:
- You have at least 5 years of software development experience, including at least 2 years of experience as a people manager leading at least 7 engineers.
- You have hands-on experience building automation frameworks at scale using modern technologies like Python, CI/CD, etc.
- You have developed, launched and supported large scale B2B and B2C SaaS products.
- You have led compex frontend and backend projects with a track record of delivery on-time, improving overall testability and meeting test automation goals.
- You can define metrics, instrument their measurement, and lead a team to hit them.
- You care about the quality of work your team produces.
- You are a fan of rapid iteration and experimentation. You think about failures as a learning opportunity.
- You know how to capitalize on the diverse strengths of the people around you.
- You are a thoughtful mentor and leader who loves supporting your team and collaborating with others to achieve great things.
- You have a point of view but encourage and welcome critiques.
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others.
- You are passionate with a contagious energy, encouraging those around you to peruse their goals.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Remote Work stipend
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.