Staff Fullstack Engineer
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
Are you inspired by best-practices and love building new products? Does the thought of creating client-focused, small-business-oriented products inspire you to craft high-quality, well-tested, and resilient code? Are React and Redux your preferred environment to build complex and interactive User Interfaces? Do you like using Node.js or Python to build robust, performant micro-services that serve flexible and ergonomic APIs? If so, keep reading; this might be the product development environment you have been searching for.
As a Staff Fullstack Engineer at ChowNow, you will interact with trusted colleagues to contribute code and help build our product platform for growth and sustainability. You will help us launch quality products and support new initiatives to continuously improve the experience of our users (both our restaurant clients and their patrons). You will be an active voice in helping us shape the product by engaging in thoughtful inquiry and critical reflection. We believe positive relationships give our team the ability to exceed expectations. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to enhance and support the platform as we scale.
About the Position:
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our “quality product first” approach to engineering contributes to our success and brand recognition. We’ve reached the time when we need to grow and scale our engineering team to meet the demand of the many exciting new products and features on our roadmap.
We’re looking for an experienced full-stack engineer and leader to help us grow our engineering team. As the Staff Fullstack Engineer, you will help us launch reliable and stable products, and support new initiatives to continuously improve the experience of our users. You will shape the product, the software architecture, the development process, and the culture. Most importantly, you will motivate, encourage and lead your team to success, by designing and proposing complete full-stack solutions. These web-based applications may include a robust data persistence layer, a performant caching layer, and a microservice based API.
This is a 100% hands-on role with a strong research and advocacy component. You will be reporting to the Frontend Manager.
Within 30 days, you’ll…
- Review product requirements and design documents, perform code reviews and weigh in on implementation choices.
- Contribute to the development of current frontend & backend projects.
- Understand how business goals, PCI compliance, and other aspects affect our internal processes.
Within 90 days, you’ll…
- Work with your manager to develop proposals for a full-stack solutions to solve complex business needs
- Collaborate with senior staff in other disciplines (e.g. back end, QA, DevOps, etc.) to build consensus toward proposed solutions
- Support and collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure consistent application of engineering practices.
- Provide guidance for new product development and frontend architecture evolution.
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Proactively propose full-stack solutions for critical product needs
- Design, develop and deploy a new full-stack solution to solve a critical business need.
- Setup monitoring and troubleshooting systems and processes to maintain your code with a high degree of confidence.
- Educate and mentor team members
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers on defining a high-level technology roadmap addressing tech debt, product roadmap, and other needs.
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Independently research and develop proof-of-concept prototypes to help drive high-level decision making
- Propose and advocate for best practices to help “level up” the team
- Lead evolution of software development process and practices supporting growth of the team and new product initiatives.
- Attend industry conferences to gather information on cutting-edge technologies and present to the Engineering team your findings
You should apply if:
- You have at least 5 years of software engineering experience, including at least 3 years experience in a technical lead or staff position.
- You have hands-on experience building responsive web applications using modern component frameworks like React
- You have experience building scalable, secure, performant microservices in Python, Node.js or a similar language
- You like building well-documented, ergonomic APIs for web and mobile applications to consume
- You have developed, launched and supported large scale B2B and B2C SaaS products.
- You have a passion for team building and fostering high-performing engineering teams.
- You know how to partner with Product, Design, QA and other Engineering Leaders to build compelling products in an Agile environment.
- You care about the quality of work your team produces.
- You can define metrics, instrument their measurement, and lead a team to hit them.
- You are a fan of rapid iteration and experimentation. You think about failures as a learning opportunity.
- You know how to capitalize on the diverse strengths of the people around you.
- You are a thoughtful mentor and leader who loves supporting your team and collaborating with others to achieve great things.
- You have a point of view but encourage and welcome critiques.
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others.
- You are passionate with a contagious energy, encouraging those around you to peruse their goals
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.