Los Angeles, CA
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 11,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As our Controller, you will be responsible for guiding the accounting department in improving internal processes for more efficient workflow, promoting ROI-based decision making, and ensuring compliance with GAAP and internal controls. You will interface with department heads across the organization. You will plan and direct the development, implementation, and operation of accounting systems and procedures to reduce costs and obtain improved information.
This role reports directly to the CFO. You’ll be directly managing a team of six professionals, including four Billing Specialists, an AP Specialist, and a Senior Accountant.
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Ramp Camp) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products
- Complete training with our IT Team and one of our Finance Team Leads. By the end of training you’ll be able to successfully navigate all internal tools, including Google Apps, Slack, Dropbox, Salesforce, ChowNow Admin, and NetSuite
- Dive into the month end close process to gain an understanding of processes and procedures that produce monthly financial statements
- Begin reviewing payroll, working closely with our People & Culture department to ensure employees are paid timely and accurately
- Walkthrough with various Finance Team members’ workflows to make sure we are paying and getting paid timely and accurately
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- Manage the monthly close process from beginning to end
- Jump into the quote-to-cash process, working to continue automation and development of scalable processes and procedures as the Company continues to grow
- Manage the disbursement of cash, including both to vendors and employee expense reports/corporate cards, ensuring that internal policies are followed
- Begin to identify and remediate any control weaknesses that exist in the financial reporting and operation processes
- Interface with outside departments in regards to customer billing and accounting related items
- Produce and distribute budget to actuals to department heads and work with department leadership to monitor spend and identify opportunities for cost savings and greater returns on investment
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- Roadmap process and system implementation priorities based on assessment of the department/companies needs over the first 60 days
- Work with the external auditors on the financial statement audit, including planning and walkthroughs as well as PBC items. Document and adjust the financial statements for ASC 606 and 842, as necessary.
- Get involved with tax reporting working with software (Avalara) and external accountants on appropriate filings for federal, state/local, sales and use, property, business, and franchise taxes
- Manage treasury, including system administration and access online, release payments and sign checks prepared by the AP Administrator, and work on debt/lease arrangements as appropriate
- Work with Logistics on appropriate accounting for tablets, printers, and stands used by our restaurant partners
You Should Apply If You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance and CPA designation preferred
- An experienced Controller with 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in accounting roles in public or corporate accounting environment
- Proficient with NetSuite with Salesforce and Expensify experience preferred
- Strong teaching and coaching skills, with the ability to delegate and motivate effectively
- Strong attention to detail, with well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Solid written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with a high level of initiative and adaptability in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive compensation
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.