Principal Front End Engineer
Los Angeles, CA
About Engineering at ChowNow
Are your responses to the above questions equivalent to [true, true, true]? If so, keep reading; this might be the development environment you have been searching for.
At ChowNow, we are passionate about building technology to help our 7,000 and growing restaurants compete in an increasingly technological world. Our team works on products focused on both our restaurant clients and their diners that transact over $1,000,000 daily.
As a web application engineer, you will interact with trusted colleagues to contribute code and help build our product platform for growth and sustainability. You will help us launch quality products and support existing initiatives that continuously improve the experience of our end-users. You will be an active voice in helping us shape the product by engaging in thoughtful inquiry and critical reflection. We believe positive relationships make our team able to do more with less. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to enhance and support the platform as we scale geometrically.
Our team is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — 5 minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
ChowNow is a fast-growing tech company on a mission to give restaurants a competitive edge with best-in-class mobile and online ordering technology. Since 2010, we've built personalized ordering systems for more than 7,000 restaurants nationwide – making it easy for customers to order directly from their website, Facebook page, and branded iPhone and Android apps. Based in Playa Vista, CA, ChowNow is dedicated to helping restaurants grow their to-go businesses, strengthen customer relationships, and compete with national chains using leading technology.
- ChowNow’s front end applications are built on React & Redux, with webpack as our bundler.
- We use CSS modules when styling our components.
- Our deployments are automated with Jenkins and we use Docker to build our applications.
- We use Jest and Enzyme for testing our components and data store.
- Our RESTful APIs are powered by Python, MySQL, and Redis supported by infrastructure-as-code environments on Amazon Web Services.
Within 3 months, you'll..
- Build, launch, and support your first big feature in one of our many products. We ship with iterative agility.
- Master development patterns and collaborative processes. We work together to make work efficient.
- Write internal documentation and test your features and systems. We take responsibility for communication and quality.
- Contribute to our component library that support multiple ChowNow products. We do not reinvent wheels, and we firmly believe in DRY.
Within 6 months, you'll..
- Have made a valued impact on multiple products across our platform. We celebrate our success by measuring our impact, internally and externally.
- Understand major feature areas of our applications and be comfortable navigating the stack and infrastructure. We are all generalists, but we specialize in minor feature areas too.
- Have participated in the architecture and implementation of new user-facing features. We communicate and collaborate on our architecture to achieve security, scalability, and maximum learning.
- Provide feedback during code-reviews of prospective engineers and listen in on telephone screening. We will teach you our interviewing methods.
Within 12 months, you'll..
- Build within reliable estimates. We know this takes time, and we strive to be accurate with each other.
- Feel comfortable as a knowledge leader, contributing teaching and continuing to learn. We want to learn as much we teach.
- Be an essential part of growing our team by fully participating in the hiring interview process. We share responsibility to grow our team.
Joining our team has some perks
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- This is a great time to join because we’re growing and we want to promote from within
- FUN, high-impact, and fast-paced environment
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- Unlimited PTO; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- Employer contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Consistent & fair leadership;we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
- Ping pong, volleyball, and an office in the middle of LA's hottest tech hub