Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
About the Position
As IT Engineer, you’ll support the entire organization with software, equipment, and services that will empower our employees to do their best work. This is a role that maximizes learning in everything related to IT and scaling operations at a high growth tech company while helping build a product you can be proud of.
The IT Engineer owns everything employees need for full productivity. Every day is different, and we hope that’s an exciting premise for you – in one day, you could be helping create new IT policies, investigating security issues, automating processes, and finding new ways to support remote work. You’ll know you’re successful when internal clients can count on reliable day-to-day customer service. IT is a critical part of the employee experience, and our mission is to build a great place to work.
Our ideal candidate is first and foremost a service-oriented helper. We’d also like to see high tolerance for ambiguity and an analytical mind: you should constantly be asking yourself ‘How can I make this better?’, no matter what you’re working on. Most of all, we hope you’ll bring willingness and enthusiasm for upholding our values and helping build a truly amazing workplace.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Specifically, you will:
- Work directly with ChowNow staff to identify issues with hardware, software, and IT services.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal clients and communicate effectively with management, team leaders, and other team members within the department.
- Respond to escalated helpdesk issues from the IT Support Engineers as needed
- Curate and write content for our Self-Service IT Knowledge Base.
- Administer SaaS accounts, billing, permissions, and user provisioning.
- Work with IT leadership by proposing the use of new services or hardware to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Communicate clearly and professionally through email, on the phone, and in-person.
- Set up, monitor, and troubleshoot audio-visual systems for company meetings and speaker events, including webcasting where required.
- Architect, configure, support, and monitor logical and physical networking layers
- Be available in occasional off-hours to respond to IT emergencies
- Mentor new IT Support Engineers and acting as their escalation point for technical issues
- Follow change management process to effectively manage change and roll-backs if necessary
- Automate repetitive processes through the use of APIs, scripting, and automation tools
- Manage 3rd party application user-provisioning, permissions, and inventory
- Identify key areas for improvements in our software and hardware stack and collaborate with external vendors to test new solutions with POC’s and test-user groups
- Work with the Security Architect to implement key security policies and profiles consistent with best practices and PCI compliance
Within 1 Month, You’ll:
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Familiarize yourself with all ChowNow IT tools and services
- Understand typical ChowNow issues and think about ways to streamline our support, onboarding, application, and escalation processes
Within 3 Months, You’ll:
- Identify key projects and set timelines for completion
- Partner with our virtual CISO to discuss key security initiatives
- Work with third-party application vendors to negotiate license upgrades if required to support SSO and other security features
Within 6 Months, You’ll:
- Have migrated 50% of our applications to SSO
- Help facilitate the application request process being fully automated and SLA’s being established for all new requests
- Work with Finance and department leads to identify all current applications and update inventory accordingly
Within 9 Month, You’ll:
- Ensure application access is limited to corporate-owned and approved personal devices by integrating with our MDM (JAMF) and application gateway products and establishing policies for personal devices
- Automate provisioning and deprovisioning of all capable applications based on department and title using APIs and built in connections with our automation tool, Workato
- Ensure SLA is adhered to and make adjustments as needed to ensure the highest level of service
- Ensure application catalog is maintained using automation tools and our IT inventory system
You Should Apply If:
- You have 3-5 years of experience working with IT automation tools and security protocols
- You have strong networking and endpoint security experience
- You are comfortable working with REST API’s and automation tools
- You have strong scripting skills and are comfortable deploying scripts to hundreds of macOS and Windows devices
- You have knowledge of PCI, CCPA, and SOC2 compliance
- You’re a team player who loves to work remotely!
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any legally protected status.