Senior DevOps Engineer
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
Are you looking for an opportunity to put your deep experience with AWS to use? Are you eager to contribute to the shaping and direction of a DevOps team? Do you love the challenge of removing bottlenecks in development and deployment processes? If scalability and stability are your thing, then we may have the perfect opportunity for you.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 18,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As a DevOps Engineer at ChowNow, you will be specifically responsible for building, improving, and growing our technology infrastructure. You will help design and implement reproducible processes in the enterprise environment as well as support the application production environment. You will own and support engineering user-facing technology as well as share responsibility for supporting the production operations.
You will work from our Los Angeles Headquarters or remotely, and report to the DevOps Team Lead; No direct reports.
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- You will begin to learn and contribute to our development and deployment patterns.
- You will begin contributing to our release process, log analysis, security patching, AWS infrastructure management, and high availability by advancing our Terraform and Ansible codebase through writing code and documentation.
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- You will participate with engineering leadership to plan the prioritized roadmap of DevOps and Infrastructure projects.
- You will have a command of infrastructure tools and processes, and be able to contribute to refining them.
- You will share responsibility for defining, sharing, and achieving team and individual KPI goals.
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- You will contribute to the technology architecture review board.
- You will be a knowledge leader, contributing teaching and continuing to learn.
- You will be able to take active part in shaping DevOps roadmap by proposing new projects and defining priorities and initiatives
Within a year:
- You will contribute to building world-class monitoring, alerting and logging solutions for our platform
- You will become the owner of a number of other tools, platforms, and processes, taking them to next level
- You will help us maintain our PCI level 1 compliance
- You will observe and participate in the interview process of prospective team members.
You Should Apply If You Have:
- 3+ years of experience with DevOps practices
- 5+ years of overall infrastructure management experience
- 3+ years AWS experience, including but not limited to EC2, RDS, CodeSuite, lambda, and ECS/Fargate
- Experience operating container-based workloads
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, Python preferred
- Solid understanding of Linux operating systems, ideally RedHat/CentOS/Amazon Linux, and networking fundamentals.
- Solid foundation in security principles and best practices
- Solid knowledge of at least one of the major configuration management and automation frameworks (Terraform and Ansible preferred)
- Hands on experience running highly available MySQL, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, or Redis
- Hands on experience setting up and maintaining monitoring, alerting and logging solution
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines, qa/development environments and related tooling
- Experience creating scalable systems, preferably in e-commerce or consumer-facing websites
- Enthusiastic contributor to high-level architecture
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching.
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.