Director of Product Management
Los Angeles, CA
Are you a seasoned product management leader who is passionate about people management and making a meaningful impact on the careers of your colleagues? Are you constantly thinking about ways that your favorite mobile apps and technology platforms could be improved? Do you love building inspiring, customer-facing products for different types of users? Do you enjoy collaborating with small teams to achieve big success? If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to these questions, then read on. We might just have the role for you.
A one-of-a-kind workplace on a mission to preserve one-of-a-kind food.
ChowNow is on a mission to help local, independent restaurants thrive. Because of the vitality they bring to our neighborhoods and cities. Because of the amazing, one-of-a-kind food they create. And because the restaurant business is tougher than ever -- thanks to increasing competition, complexity, and the rise of third-party delivery services that gouge restaurants on every sale.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee, regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
We pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 11,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase.
If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk. Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent) and by browsing our open roles at chownow.com/careers. Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As our first Director of Product Management, you will lead and grow a team of 3+ Product Managers, helping us to define what it means to be a product manager at ChowNow while working with iterative, agile product squads. You’ll work directly with our executive team to create a product strategy that addresses trends in the market and helps independent restaurants grow their businesses. You’ll be responsible for executing on our product roadmap and constantly pushing our teams to deliver higher quality products.
This is an exciting opportunity to help us grow our accomplished and nimble product organization. You’ll represent the Product organization across the company. You’ll lead our teams in celebrating successes and acknowledging failures. You’ll identify areas of strategic growth beyond our current active partner relationships including Square, Apple, Google, Yelp, and DoorDash. We’re processing over $600m in food sales annually with well over 1 million monthly active users, and we’re excited about where we’re taking things from here.
As Director of Product Management, you'll work from our Los Angeles Headquarters. This position reports directly to the Chief Product Officer.
Specifically you will:
- Collaborate with our Sales, Client Success, Brand, and Growth Marketing teams to identify new opportunities to help restaurants across the country grow their businesses.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest e-commerce technology, trends in the food space, and new ways to solve customer problems.
- Spend time with restaurant operators and diners to learn their behavior and better empathize with their needs.
Within 30 days, you’ll:
- Complete the ChowNow New Hire Ramp Camp.
- Spend time individually with every person on the Product team and begin leading weekly one-on-one sessions with your team members.
- Learn ChowNow’s sales process to understand how we position our products and services to demonstrate value to local restaurant owners.
- Learn ChowNow’s client onboarding process to understand how restaurants are set up on the platform and how we help increase revenue for our clients.
- Identify the way we build and ship products by shadowing our product squads.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Establish a high-level product roadmap and set key success metrics based on your discovery of customer pain points and how we can solve for them.
- Work with product and their development teams to optimize our user impact of each release.
- Hire at least one additional product manager.
- Develop a staffing model to support future product development needs.
- Learn about the tech stack, database structure, and system architecture.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Create career development plans and establish career progression paths to build a best-in-class product team.
- Work with our recruiting team to attract talent and optimize our hiring process.
- Set team and individual OKRs based on company goals and personal development priorities.
- Be an advocate for personal and professional growth by leading company-wide Brown Bag sessions, participating as a speaker in quarterly Town Halls, developing competency groups and mentorship programs, and advocating for ChowNow at employer branding events.
- Engage in local and virtual Product Development communities to contribute to building a strong ChowNow product development brand.
Within 1 year, you’ll:
- Develop a clear product vision to support our company strategy.
- Build a culture within our product team that motivates us to build higher quality products and push the boundaries of what’s expected.
You should apply if:
- You recognize leadership as a constant learning experience and actively work to improve your skills.
- You’re constantly curious about the latest consumer apps, trends in digital experiences, and smartly scaling technology platforms.
- You have experience building B2B2C products.
- You've led multiple products at once.
- You have experience working with agile teams and are a subject matter expert in teaching agile best practices to a team.
- You can naturally formulate hypotheses and analyze results to hone in on the right decisions.
- You are excited to interact with customers to collect feedback.
- You are able to identify nuggets of opportunity from a sea of data.
- You’re a fan of iterative development, working with cross-functional teams to hypothesize, measure impact, and learn from previous releases to iterate on future roadmap plans.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Monthly gym reimbursement
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.