Los Angeles, CA /
About the Position:
The FP&A Manager will be a key member of the Finance Team responsible for utilizing both quantitative and qualitative analyses of all operational aspects of the company in order to evaluate the company’s progress toward achieving its goals and to map out future goals and plans. The person filling this position will play a critical role in considering economic and business trends, reviewing past company performance, and anticipating obstacles and potential issues, all with an eye toward forecasting the company’s future financial results. This person will work cross-functionally with other departments in the execution of the role’s duties, particularly the Data & Analytics Team.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. At the same time, we are rapidly expanding our entirely commission-free marketplace to support local restaurants nationwide. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date, we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Specifically, you will:
- Create, update, and maintain financial models and detailed forecasts of ChowNow’s future operations
- Assess and track ChowNow’s overall financial health, primarily by using key financial ratios common to SaaS companies and marketplaces
- Determine gross margin and net margin contributions of our products or product lines
- Examine and evaluate the cost-efficiency of each department, in light of what percentage of the company’s financial resources each department consumes
- Work with individual departments to prepare budgets and consolidate into ChowNow’s overall corporate budget
- Compare historical operating results against budgets and forecasts, and perform variance analyses to explain differences in performance and make improvements going forward
- Consider opportunities for ChowNow to expand or grow; map out growth plans, including capital expenditures and investments
- Evaluate new investments or products by looking at return on investment analyses
- Build monthly and quarterly reporting packages for senior management team and the Board of Directors
- Prepare merger, acquisition, and valuation analyses as needed
- Build relationships with peers and financial leaders across the organization
- Assist Investor Relations with quarterly earnings and other external communications
Within 30 Days, You’ll:
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Have met with the broader team, and established relationships with your colleagues in the Finance Department and peers in departments you’ll be working closely with
- Work with Finance leadership to understand current forecast model and regular financial reporting needs
- Develop an understanding of the complex interrelationship between revenue drivers and spend, and how to capture those dynamics in an optimized model
Within 60 Days, You’ll:
- Train under Finance leadership to update and maintain current forecast model
- Work with our Data team (Team DnA) to develop and generate regular financial reporting
- In partnership with Finance leadership, evaluate software stack for FP&A team
Within 90 Days, You’ll:
- Share ownership of the company’s financial model
- Provide monthly financial updates to investors on company’s performance
- Conduct quarterly budget to actual reviews with the company’s various departments
- Provide insights and recommendations gained from various analyses
You Should Apply If:
- You have 5+ years experience in a FP&A, Accounting, Investment Banking, or Management Consulting role
- You have advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills; experience with financial modelling.
- You have a high attention to detail as deliverables will often be presented to senior management where accuracy is essential
- You have strong presentation skills as you will be required to communicate complex information in a simplified manner
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact with employees of all levels
- You’re eager to learn in a fast-paced environment and you’re not afraid to ask probing questions
- You have a proven ability to thrive in a dynamic environment under short timelines and changing priorities
- You are analytically minded and able to make data-driven decisions
- You are trustworthy and demand the same of coworkers
- You have SaaS revenue background or a strong interest to join a SaaS company
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience.
- A remote-first culture and monthly stipend offering flexibility to work where you want and how you want.
- Rock-solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.