Product Manager, Payments & Fraud
Los Angeles, CA or Remote /
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As our Product Manager responsible for Payments & Fraud, you will define, build, launch, and maintain products and systems that help our restaurants thrive. You’ll partner with Finance, Engineering, Customer Success, and other teams to understand pain points and workflows to identify opportunities to improve our payments and fraud integrations. As your product area increases in scope and success, your level of responsibility and influence over strategic company priorities will grow, too.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the development of new products and features that will directly impact our internal teams. You’ll represent the Product organization across the company. You’ll help us integrate with strategic partners including Stripe, Apple, Google, Yelp, and DoorDash. We’re currently processing over $1b in food sales annually with over 3 million monthly active users, and we’re excited about where we’re taking things from here.
This position reports to the Group Product Manager.
Specifically you will:
- Plan a product roadmap to help Chownow scale and further support our restaurants.
- Collaborate with Leadership, Finance, Engineering, Marketing, & product teams to identify opportunities to support our overall product efforts.
- Have comfort and understanding when discussing technology concepts, tradeoffs, and impact with technical team members.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest technologies, trends in the food space, and new ways to solve customer problems.
Within 30 days, you’ll:
- Complete the ChowNow New Hire Ramp Camp.
- Learn ChowNow’s sales process to understand how we position our products and services to demonstrate value to local restaurant owners.
- Learn ChowNow’s client onboarding process to understand how restaurants are set up on the platform and how we help increase revenue for our clients.
- Become familiar with ChowNow’s product development cycle by releasing your first feature into production.
- Conduct customer interviews to empathize with our users and identify product opportunities.
- Gain a complete understanding of our customer lifecycle email programs.
Within 60 days, you’ll:
- Learn about the tech stack, database structure, and system architecture.
- Set key success metrics and establish a high-level product roadmap based on your discovery of customer pain points and how we can solve for them.
- Prioritize product backlog items for two full sprints of design and development work.
- Become familiar with our analytics tools and recommend improvements to our data strategy.
Within 90 days, you'll:
- Work with stakeholders to test proof-of-concepts with clients.
- Refine the product roadmap with scope and rough project milestones.
- Share the product roadmap with key stakeholders and articulate the customer and business impact.
- Launch your first major product based on your rollout strategy.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Become known as an enthusiastic product leader and subject matter expert, demonstrating your ability to seek out new ideas, solve problems quickly, and collaborate with teams across ChowNow.
- Define and champion the long term vision of payments and fraud
Within 1 year, you’ll:
- Take on additional responsibilities after launching several new products and features.
You Should Apply If:
- You’re constantly curious about optimizing internal processes, security, the latest in the digital and restaurant space, and smartly scaling technology platforms
- You have the ability to tell stories and surface insights through data.
- You have experience working with agile teams and are a subject matter expert in teaching agile best practices.
- You can naturally formulate hypotheses and analyze results to hone in on the right decisions.
- You are excited to partner with internal teams to collect feedback.
- You are able to identify nuggets of opportunity from a sea of data.
- You’re a fan of iterative development, working with cross-functional teams to hypothesize, measure impact, and learn from previous releases to iterate on future roadmap plans.
- You’re always thinking about scaling the business with security and stability in mind
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.