Los Angeles, CA
Do you have an eagle eye for detail? Are you frequently pointing out bugs in everyday things? Do you love breaking things and finding out how they work? Do you consider yourself an advocate for quality and strive for the best user experience? Are you curious about how the products you love are made? Do you find yourself exploring the tech and code behind them? If so, ChowNow has the opportunity you’ve been searching for.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 11,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a reliable, stable, and modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our “quality first” approach to engineering contributes to our success and brand recognition. We’ve reached the time where we need to grow and scale out our testing abilities to meet the demands of the many exciting new products and features on our roadmap.
We’re looking for a product-minded thinker to help deliver quality products from engineering to end users. Drawing from your experience in analyzing requirements and collaborating with Engineers, Product Managers, and Designers, you are an effective tester that can ensure our features meet the strict standards of the highest mark of quality before they’re released.
Within 1 month, you’ll...
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience).
- Complete Engineering Training, learning about our software development process, tools, technology stack, and architecture.
- Join a Product Squad, meet squad members and take ownership of testing new feature development.
Within 3 months, you’ll...
- Learn our business model and how it translates to platform architecture, products, and features.
- Master testing strategies and collaborative processes.
- Collaborate with a Product Manager to discover the breadth of testing desired to ensure quality.
- Contribute to testing documentation and automation to evaluate and improve on their effectiveness.
- Help determine the root cause of bugs using knowledge of software internals and logs to debug.
- Participate in a product feature release by creating and executing a test plan.
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Make a tangible impact on our process workflow by reducing cycle times as well as ensuring a quality product.
- Understand major feature areas of our applications and be comfortable navigating the product.
- Able to review code changes and collaborate with developers to understand the scope of changes.
- Take ownership of a large piece of a product, or an entire product, from analyzing requirements to test planning and execution through approval for release.
Within 12 months, you’ll...
- Test within reliable estimates to meet release dates.
- Contribute to the quality and automation strategy by identifying opportunities for improvement and collaborating on solutions.
- Become an expert in diagnosing issues reported by non-technical staff and end-users.
- Feel comfortable as a knowledge leader, contributing to teaching others and continuing to learn.
- Be an essential part of growing our team by fully participating in the hiring interview process.
You Should Apply If:
- You have experience testing new product features and enhancements based on an understanding of functional and design requirements.
- You enjoy performing exploratory testing and thorough regression testing to safeguard against breaking existing features.
- You are comfortable presenting defects to a Software Engineer in a clear and concise manner, even if it means critiquing their work.
- You are knowledgeable about a variety of interfaces including REST APIs, SQL, and web browser dev tools.
- You have used Python (or another programming/scripting language) for user-level automation or have worked with automated tests as part of the testing cycle.
- You desire to play an active role in reviewing product requirements, pointing out any gaps and ambiguities that could save everyone time down the line.
- You seek to take part in shaping the internal QA process: outlining test plans, writing and maintaining test cases, executing tests, and providing feedback and approval for releases.
- You enjoy working in an iterative, agile development process with frequent cycles.
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.