Principal Product Manager
Los Angeles, CA /
Are you passionate about loyalty programs, consumer marketing strategies, and e-commerce tactics? Do you love figuring out new ways to connect with customers? Do you thrive on parsing data and optimizing products based on the value they’re generating? Do you delight in leading small teams to big success? If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to these questions, then read on. We might just have the role for you.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 18,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As our Principal Product Manager responsible for our Loyalty and Marketing programs, you will define, build, launch, and maintain a suite of online loyalty and marketing tools that will help restaurants grow their business by strengthening relationships with their customers. You will be responsible for setting the product vision as well as executing on the overall product strategy. As a representative of the Product organization across the company, you’ll partner with teams across the organization to identify new areas of opportunity for us to explore. You will have a high level of responsibility and influence over strategic company priorities.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the development of new products and features that will directly impact our restaurant partners. You’ll help us integrate with strategic partners including Square, Apple, Google, Yelp, and DoorDash. We’re currently processing over $1b in food sales annually with over 3 million monthly active users, and we’re excited about where we’re taking things from here.
This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Product Management and can be located at our Los Angeles Headquarters, our Kansas City satellite office, or any remote location of your choosing within the four U.S. time zones.
Specifically you will:
- Plan a product roadmap that provides simple and effective loyalty and marketing opportunities for our restaurant customers to connect with their diners.
- Collaborate with our Brand Marketing, Growth, Client Success, and Sales teams to identify new opportunities to enhance ChowNow’s loyalty and marketing platform.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest digital loyalty, marketing, and e-commerce technologies that provide new ways to solve customer problems.
- Conduct UX research to learn consumer behavior and better empathize with our restaurant clients and their diners.
Within 30 days, you’ll:
- Complete the ChowNow New Hire Ramp Camp.
- Learn ChowNow’s sales process to understand how we position our products and services to demonstrate value to local restaurant owners.
- Learn ChowNow’s client onboarding process to understand how restaurants are set up on the platform and how we help increase revenue for our clients.
- Become familiar with ChowNow’s product development cycle by releasing your first feature into production.
- Conduct customer interviews to empathize with our users and identify product opportunities.
- Gain a complete understanding of our customer lifecycle email programs.
Within 60 days, you’ll:
- Learn about the tech stack, database structure, and system architecture.
- Set key success metrics and establish a high-level product roadmap based on your discovery of customer pain points and how we can solve for them.
- Prioritize product backlog items for two full sprints of design and development work.
- Become familiar with our analytics tools and recommend improvements to our data strategy.
- Complete a competitive analysis of top B2B2C marketing providers to help us identify potential features to explore.
Within 90 days, you'll:
- Work with stakeholders to test proof-of-concepts with clients.
- Present your short term strategy for our Restaurant Loyalty and Marketing programs.
- Refine the product roadmap with scope and rough project milestones.
- Share the product roadmap with key stakeholders and articulate the customer and business impact.
- Release your first major product based on your rollout strategy.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Become known as an enthusiastic product leader and subject matter expert, demonstrating your ability to seek out new ideas, solve problems quickly, and collaborate with teams across ChowNow.
- Define and champion the long term vision of our Loyalty and Marketing offerings.
Within 1 year, you’ll:
- Build your product area into a successful new line of business that’s generating additional orders and revenue for our restaurant partners.
You Should Apply If:
- You have 8+ years of product management experience.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity, have a bias toward informed action, and have a track record of leading new initiatives.
- You have the ability to communicate strategy and priorities effectively with all levels of management, including c-suite.
- You’re constantly curious about the latest trends in digital loyalty, marketing, e-commerce, and growth strategies.
- You have experience developing different loyalty programs and marketing tools.
- You have the ability to tell stories and surface insights through data.
- You have experience building B2B2C products.
- You have experience working with agile teams and are a subject matter expert in teaching agile best practices.
- You can naturally formulate hypotheses and analyze results to hone in on the right decisions.
- You are excited to interact with customers to collect feedback.
- You are able to identify nuggets of opportunity from a sea of data.
- You’re a fan of iterative development, working with cross-functional teams to hypothesize, measure impact, and learn from previous releases to iterate on future roadmap plans.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.