Executive Director of The Mobility Innovation Hub - Boston, MA or Cambridge, MA
Boston, MA /
CIC is seeking a dynamic and passionate Executive Director (ED) to launch our forthcoming Mobility Innovation Hub. The Mobility Innovation Hub is a new public benefit corporation being established at CIC with funding from private and public sector partners. It has the goal to foster and speed innovation in the mobility and transportation sectors globally. It will seek to leverage its home in Massachusetts as a testing site for ground-breaking mobility technology and policy innovation that has the potential to improve lives and the environment. The entity itself will be a public benefit corporation with a bylaws requirement to re-invest 100% of its income in its mission. As such, it will not make a profit.
The ED will be responsible for developing the organization from the ground up, in collaboration with the CIC leadership team and a group of esteemed and dedicated outside partners. Key leaders in the effort include: Jay Ash (CEO of the Massachusetts Competitive Partnership), Kristin Brief (Head of CIC+), Dan Dolan (President of the New England Power Generators Association), Gretchen Effgen (VP of Partnerships at Aptiv/Nutonomy), Steve Kadish (Senior Research Fellow at Harvard Kennedy’s Taubman Center for State and Local Government, former chair of the Commission on the Future of Transportation), John Moavenzadeh (former head of Mobility at the World Economic Forum), and Tim Rowe (CEO of CIC).
We define “mobility” broadly as the movement of people and goods, including surface, air and sea. Our home state of Massachusetts is home to over 100 mobility startups with a diverse set of focus areas, including urban micro-mobility solutions, electric and autonomous vehicles, air taxis, and others. Leveraging these companies and others further afield, including overseas, our goal is to cultivate an ecosystem of companies commercializing new technologies and solutions in transportation. This will include startups, corporations, non-profits, universities, and public sector participants. Notably, there is tremendous opportunity to engage the public sector and non-profit community in this innovation work. Transportation is an especially regulated industry, and public/private partnership is typically necessary to achieve success in deploying new innovations.
CIC has successfully helped launch initiatives similar to this hub in other industries. One example is LabCentral, in Cambridge. It offers shared wet lab space for early-stage biotechnology startups; in 5 years since inception, over 30 top biotech companies have become sponsors of LabCentral and 10% of all the Series A life sciences funding in the US has been invested in LabCentral companies. MassRobotics is another example, for the robotics industry, which currently supports 25% of the state’s robotics companies. These two initiatives have been great successes; our goal is to create this same successful model for mobility.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY WORK
The ED will create and drive the Mobility Innovation Hub’s vision and provide critical leadership to position it as a center for excellence, a thought leader and a centralizing convening force for innovative mobility technologies and solutions. The ED will be responsible for fundraising, marketing, and operations, and be responsible for a set of comprehensive goals for performance and growth to ensure the Hub thrives and demonstrates impact. External presentations of all sorts about this work will be commonplace. You will start with a focus on Massachusetts, and we anticipate the role will grow to have a global purview over time. Some specific responsibilities the ED will be responsible for are to:
• Develop a vision for the Mobility Innovation Hub and captivate others in that mission to gain support and momentum.
• Develop, implement and lead a comprehensive, diversified long-term strategy to strengthen fundraising from corporate, government, and philanthropic partners.
• Manage and lead a strong advisory board towards fulfilling the missions of the organization.
• Develop key initiatives within the Mobility Innovation Hub, e.g., programs with the public sector, reverse challenges or “hackathons” for corporations.
• Build, support, and grow a strong and stable team as the organization expands; provide day-to-day leadership and management; develop staff to professional excellence.
• Build and maintain trusted relationships with our startup member companies, corporate partners, and other potential funders.
• Drive marketing of the Mobility Innovation Hub; this includes serving as a spokesperson for the Mobility Innovation Hub in in the press; with staff, develop tactics for Hub marketing with the purpose of engaging the mobility ecosystem, e.g., through website, blogs, newsletters, case studies, social media, events, etc.
• Achieve and surpass fundraising and key organization goals and objectives with a key eye to staying true to the mission of the work.
• Participate in the process of recruiting new startup members to the Mobility Innovation Hub.
• Team with and leverage the broader CIC team, including marketing, relationship management and operations, to achieve Mobility Innovation Hub goals.
You are mission-driven, have both experience and a network within the mobility industry, and a drive to make a far-reaching impact. Your excellent people management and collaboration skills will be invaluable as you create and maintain positive working relationships with early-stage companies and a wide range of other key stakeholders. You bring the following qualities to your work:
• You are a builder. You enjoy creating the vision for an organization and leading your team and others to execute against that vision.
• You have a strong customer service focus and are excited to grow and maintain relationships with partners, startup of all types, and many other types of stakeholders.
• You have a data-driven approach and use data to develop your strategies.
• You have a positive, can-do attitude and strong work ethic in performance of job duties.
• You have strong communication skills (oral/written) and presentation skills.
• You have the flexibility to work outside standard business hours (e.g., evenings) and to travel as required.
• You are mission-driven, have a strong enthusiasm and passion for all things mobility, and have a core belief that innovation in this industry has the potential to improve lives and mitigate climate impact.
• 10-15+ years’ business experience, including at the executive-level.
• Experience in a startup or other fast-paced environment; flexibility and understanding that the role will evolve over time as opportunities arise and business needs shift.
• Strong interpersonal and people management skills; experience leading a successful team of professionals across a variety of disciplines and experience levels; ability to delegate, train, coach, and motivate staff.
• Hands-on experience owning and leading fundraising efforts (corporate, government, philanthropic) and experience managing corporate partnerships.
• Strategic and operational experience to develop and implement the organization’s strategic plan, translating strategy into actionable goals, annual operating planning and performance management targets (KPIs).
• Experience working across multiple types of organizations a plus, including, e.g., for-profits, non-profits, the public sector, etc.
• Salary commensurate with experience, and consistent with a public-purpose focused organization.
• 100% of the cost of a premium healthcare and dental package
• Long and short-term disability
• Life insurance
• 401k matching after the first year of employment (must be 21+)
• Two weeks paid vacation plus twelve holidays from the start (more with seniority).
• Annual reviews with raises significantly above the national average every year for those on track with strong performance.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
In addition to helping our clients achieve great things, we work to ensure that our employees are healthy and supported. Some of the benefits of being here include:
• Fun people in a dynamic space. We pride ourselves on finding driven and bright collaborators who are eager to lend their own unique skills to the team, as well as to our inspiring clientele. The number one reason CICers say they like working here is because of their colleagues!
• Personal growth. This is a great opportunity to learn and develop skills within the epicenter of the innovation community at a growing company.
• Discounted services and memberships on tools to make your life happier/healthier such as gym memberships, tech and design support, hotel stays, and other fantastic options.
• Regular massages, access to a nursing room, secure bicycle parking, a game room, a gym, shower rooms with towels, and stocked kitchens.
• Central location. CIC Cambridge is a stone’s throw from the Kendall Square MBTA Red Line stop. CIC Boston is centrally located in downtown Boston and is within walking distance to the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red line.
Founded in 1999, CIC’s mission is to improve the world by helping exceptional entrepreneurs innovate better and faster. We offer carefully curated working environments that combine private, secure offices alongside shared amenities in locations across Boston, Cambridge, Miami, Philadelphia, Providence, Rotterdam, St. Louis, and Warsaw and are growing into other cities, within the US and abroad. We currently serve 2000+ startups, growth companies, and branches of larger organizations, representing for-profit, mission-driven, and non-profit sectors across a wide array of industries. The spaces are purposefully designed and built for innovation, featuring tailored workspaces such as biotech and robotics laboratories, and bring together frequent, large gatherings of the best and brightest innovators and entrepreneurs.
CIC currently has over a million square feet of space under lease and is actively pursuing campuses in additional cities globally, including Dublin, Tokyo, Bilbao, and Sydney, with plans to grow to 50 cities over the next 10 years. We pride ourselves on displaying a high degree of care and accuracy in everything that we do, and we work to ensure that our clients thrive every day that they are in our space. We believe that our ability to support world-changing entrepreneurs is only as good as the people who make up our teams, and as such we are looking for people who are interested in contributing to--and improving--the way we work.
We invite you to explore all our openings and learn more about our teams here.
CIC is committed to building teams that reflect the fabric of the cities we support. We welcome all candidates regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Any other human expressions and experiences not mentioned here are equally welcome. If you require an accommodation please let us know. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.