Director of Impact Hub
Are you passionate about creating a diverse, thriving community for social and environmental innovators, entrepreneurs, funders, and activists? Join us to support our Boston community in driving tangible solutions to the world’s most pressing issues.
Impact Hub Boston seeks a business and cultural leader to be our next Director and to skillfully build on our strong reputation.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This role is for a pragmatic and visionary individual with a clear sense of direction for how Impact Hub Boston can create tangible impact for our local communities while growing revenues and profitability. You will be in charge of both the long-term strategy and day-to-day operation of Impact Hub Boston.
ABOUT IMPACT HUB BOSTON
Impact Hub Boston is a community and place that pursues a more just and sustainable world where business and profit are used in service of people and planet. We inspire, connect, and enable people and organizations to fuel entrepreneurial action. We hold the values the values of community, inclusivity, justice, authenticity, and courage.
We turn ideas into action, and intention into impact. We provide access to a supportive community with resources, connections, knowledge, talent, and investments. We create places and opportunities for purpose-driven people to connect and build solutions for a better world.
Impact Hub Boston is part of a global network of over 100 Impact Hubs across the globe, representing more than 50 countries and 17,000+ ‘changemaker’ members. Impact Hub Boston is currently housed within the Boston campus of CIC (a sister organization to Impact Hub Boston) with coworking space, private offices, and event space in the heart of downtown Boston.
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This role drives the work of making Impact Hub Boston the place where people engaged in social impact work learn from, connect to, and gain inspiration from each other. This role supports the entire Impact Hub Boston community, working within the larger framework of the global Impact Hub network. The Director reports to the board of Impact Hub Boston, and currently has four direct full-time reports as well as managing contractor relationships that support finance, billing, and other temporary/periodic functions.
The successful applicant for this role bring with themselves the vision, capabilities, and track record needed to expand Impact Hub Boston’s impact in new directions. The general responsibilities fall into four themes:
Strategy & Leadership
• Provide vision, leadership, and strategy, and build relationships with partners to deliver impactful solutions and support the work of social innovators,
• Inspire our team to deliver exceptional service, and work with the Board of Directors to set and manage the strategic plan,
• Lead strategic initiatives including planning and executing sales plans and marketing campaigns, measure performance and impact, and mitigate potential business risks and vulnerabilities,
• Sustain a positive, inspiring, culturally competent work culture, support growth and professional development of four full-time employees and 25 volunteers + contract staff,
• Build and maintain relationships with partners in delivering innovative, impactful solutions to important problems and support the work of social innovators in the Boston region,
• Provide day-to-day team management, set and monitor team KPIs and goals, and manage hiring and on-boarding of new employees,
• Manage company-wide projects at all phases, improve existing processes and use iterative planning, coordination, and automation to make improvements,
• Oversee member relations, manage our partnership with CIC and building management, and monitor vendor relationships,
• Ensure Impact Hub Boston is inviting to members of all backgrounds, oversee high-quality programming for all members, market to diverse audiences.
• Manage and grow membership and revenue, develop new revenue opportunities, and raise capital to grow the organization,
• Advocate, as appropriate, for additional investment from the Board of Directors and investors, and determine reinvestment priorities to maximize sustained support of our mission
• Create and track annual budgets with regular and transparent reports to the board and staff, and analyze monthly cash flow/spending reports.
• Tell our members’ stories, develop strategic partnerships, and support marketing, networking and sales opportunities to increase our members' impact; establish an impact advisory board,
• Strengthen our engagement with important social issues in Greater Boston,
• Set and measure inclusion as an important staff goal,
• Report annually on our impact using specific metrics, and report quarterly to our board.
• Passion for our mission to inspire, connect, and enable people and organizations to fuel entrepreneurial action for a better world,
• 7+ years of work experience; 4+ years in a senior role and management position with 3+ direct reports,
• 2+ years managing a P&L, with a record of success in managing budgets and demonstrating significant growth; a thorough understanding of financial management and management principles and techniques,
• Proven experience with business scaling; enthusiasm for strategic planning, growth, and expansion,
• Knowledgeable and passionate about Boston’s (or of a comparable urban area’s) diverse communities and neighborhoods, and the local challenges and issues that face those communities.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
• Has an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; has a strong affinity with and dedication to our mission and values; and wants to build a force for good, excited about enriching how we operate,
• Believes in team and community as sources of strength,
• Brings knowledge and experience of the social enterprise sector and a high-level understanding of sector trends and opportunities,
• Is invigorated by the chance to innovate, comfortable with ambiguity and can move forward (and bring others along!) in the midst of changing circumstances,
• Has a strong appetite for networking, relationship building, and public speaking,
• Wants to grow Impact Hub Boston and its impact, and grow with the organization, for the next 5+ years.
COMPENSATION AND TIME EXPECTATIONS
This is a full-time salaried position with some material flexible hours around evening and occasional weekend work. Compensation is commensurate with experience*, plus 100% of the cost of a premium healthcare and dental package, long and short-term disability, life insurance, 401k with partial match up to 5%, and three weeks vacation from the start (more with seniority). Annual reviews with raises every year for those on track with strong performance.
*Base compensation is commensurate with experience. Bonus incentives for success. Success metrics negotiated with the Board of Directors.
ATTRACTIONS OF WORKING AT IMPACT HUB
• What does our staff love most about working here? Their colleagues!
• Highly varied, entrepreneurial work that requires inspired vision: each day allows us to bring creative solutions for a better business and positive impact.
• The 300+ members at Impact Hub Boston are sharp, diverse, and motivated to create a better future for Boston, the US, and the world, and take part in a wide range of industries in a dynamic environment of constant learning.
• The opportunity to work on behalf of, and develop skills within the epicenter of the social entrepreneurship community in Boston.
• Impact Hub Boston is centrally located to the Blue, Green, Orange, Red, and Silver MBTA lines, to major highways and to both train stations.
• Fantastic additional benefits such as unlimited access to a well-stocked kitchen (ask us about our tea wall), monthly massage at no cost, an onsite wellness program, flexible working space, and a host of discounts towards local business and well-being memberships.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Impact Hub Boston is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on workforce diversity. We strongly encourage applications from current residents of greater Boston, women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. Impact Hub policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.