Impact Hub Lead Host - Boston, MA
Impact Hub Boston is a physical home for entrepreneurs, impact professionals, creatives and innovators organized around collaboration, learning, and making change happen by building the kind of community that strengthens and supports its members in their work.
Operating from a central location in Downtown Boston, Impact Hub Boston has a young and fast-growing membership, and has become one of the best places to go in Boston for thought-provoking and innovative events on a broad set of topics serving the social innovators of the region. As part of the global Impact Hub network, spanning six continents and more than 85 locations, Impact Hub Boston benefits from an association of communities of entrepreneurs who are making the world a better place. To help Hub Boston members get the most from the community experience, we are hiring a full time Impact Hub Boston Lead Host.
JOB DESCRIPTION / RESPONSIBILITIES
Impact Hub Boston is hiring a Lead Host who will report to the leader of the Impact Hub Boston organization, manage a team of hosts and be responsible for growing and strategically supporting our diverse community of members.
- Manage the members’ experience from first contact to becoming an active part of the Impact Hub community,
- Design and execute the member interview process and on-boarding to ensure a high quality match between new members and the community,
- Strategically manage activities and operations in the local and global Impact Hub communities to increase the number of connections, the level of mutual support and the amount of collaboration among members,
- Design and execute an event program that fuels the community with inspiration and hands-on knowledge for social change,
- Assist with the strategic direction of the Impact Hub’s online efforts to provide members with valuable tools for knowledge exchange and connections, as well as to promote the business,
- Work with a skilled collaborative team of motivated individuals to accomplish group objectives,
- Work with other Impact Hubs on cross-Hub initiatives,
- Establishing relationships with key players in the region to create joint programs that create value for Impact Hub members, especially those that build and support the region’s social impact ecosystem,
- Maintain strong working relationships with CIC staff and related organizations such as Venture Café Foundation.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate these traits through a minimum of 1-2 years of relevant experience:
- Ability to strategically analyze a community and identify specific actions to enable an increasing level of interaction and collaboration among the members.
- Ability to inspire and motivate people.
- Extensive social/people skills.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to facilitate and host events with a large, diverse audience.
- Demonstrated passion for social entrepreneurship, community engagement, and social justice.
- Knowledge and experience with shaping an organizational culture.
- Affinity with technical tools that enable virtual community interaction.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Ability to identify new opportunities and capitalize on them.
- Experience working with or supporting diverse communities or organizations at a grassroots level.
- Knowledgeable and passionate about Boston's diverse communities and neighborhoods (or, potentially, another urban area), and the local challenges and systemic issues facing those communities.
Although skills and professional experience are critical components of success in this job, values alignment and a shared purpose are equally important.
The successful candidate will be:
- passionate about topics such as social innovation, entrepreneurship and sustainability;
- prepared to lead by example, and will have demonstrated a strong service ethic in past experiences;
- aware of how their behavior affects other people, locally and globally;
- eager to improve their professional and personal skills on an ongoing basis;
- knowledgeable about major global challenges (climate change, energy alternatives, food systems, etc.), and curious about practical solutions;
- innovative at solving problems;
- quick to pick up new skills;
- able to motivate and support a large team of part-time staff and enable them to succeed;
- equally excited to host both high-profile leaders and young, inexperienced entrepreneurs;
- personable and attentive to members’ needs;
- able to prioritize and achieve many goals and tasks on a daily basis;
- comfortable suggesting new processes;
- positive, calm, and dependable under stress;
- empathetic with people from diverse global cultures;
- prepared and committed for a minimum of a two-year work period;
.- driven to build community partnerships.
ATTRACTIONS OF THE JOB
- Mission: Help world-changing entrepreneurs grow and succeed by creating a community where they can thrive.
- Creative: We are building the road as we travel. There are plenty of opportunities to take an idea, make it yours, and make it happen. If you can dream it, and execute it, you can make it happen.
- Learn: research and implement strategies and tactics for stronger community building.
- Energetic community: Our members are some of the smartest individuals in the country, and take part in a wide range of industries, including many of Boston’s best early stage mission-driven organizations of all sorts, tech, health, and the arts. Imagine being able to get to know and work alongside of these inspiring, accomplished leaders!
- Highly varied work: each day brings opportunities to come up with creative solutions for members’ needs.
- Convenient location: the Impact Hub Boston location is within a 5 minute walk of several subway lines, and within a 10 minute walk of all subway lines.
- Great team: Engaged and exciting coworkers in a staff-friendly environment.
Starting compensation is $41,895 (non-negotiable) along with 100% of cost of a premium healthcare/dental package, long/short-term disability, life insurance, and two weeks vacation from the start (more with seniority). 401k with partial employer match after one year. Regular raises based primarily on performance.
*** Please do NOT apply for this job if:
- It will be your first hands-on operational job;
- You expect us to relocate you from another city;
- You have an instinct to embellish your experience or education;
- You would have taken the “blue pill” from Morpheus in the Matrix.
CIC is committed to building teams that reflect the fabric of the cities we support. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know.