Vice President of Finance and Operations
Shareholder Success /
Cinchy is reinventing enterprise data with the world’s first comprehensive dataware platform that liberates data from enterprise apps and evolves it to a universal, fully collaborative data network. Data liberation empowers connectivity and control by eliminating data fragmentation, data duplication, data silos, and the need for costly and time-consuming data integration. With dataware, enterprise data is now available to whomever it's needed, able to move simply and freely to wherever it's needed.
Our customers (click here) use dataware to accelerate digital transformation projects and reduce the time and cost to build applications by more than 50%. Dataware decreases IT project delivery risks, establishes guaranteed data access controls, and enables effortless collaboration on quality data across an organizations’ people and systems.
We are a growing company of builders, innovators, collaborators that believe freeing your data will empower your teams to build the future and unlock their potential.
Scope of the Position
Reporting to theCEO, the Vice President of Finance and Operations will be responsible for driving shareholder success with responsibility for all finance and operations functions across the company. A part of the Executive Team, the leader will work as a strategic business advisor and be well versed in the full range of finance-related programs and services. This role internally will be called Head of Shareholder Success.
What you will be doing
- Facilitate the evolution of the role from the traditional "Finance" to "Shareholder Success". The "success-centricity" movement is a big deal for us, and this is at the center!
- Responsible for the design, oversight and day-to-day management of Cinchy’s Finance function as it scales to a $50M revenue company.
- Accurate and timely processing of day-to-day transactions, reporting of historical financials and metrics, and forecasting of financials and metrics
- Assist the Executive team in securing new Equity and Debt financing as required.
- Act as a key liaison between the company and the Board of Directors.
- Be a key contributor to the overall strategy and direction of the company.
- Influence the executive team by driving the metrics and presentation of results.
- Hold the management team accountable with facts.
- Balance the role of being the CEO’s ‘enforcer’ against being a trusted advisor to the rest of the leadership team.
- Ensure that surprises are avoided, provide context and ensure that board meetings are as productive as possible.
- Deliver immediate value and contribute to long-term objectives—while finding the right mix of business flexibility to bridge the two.
- Ensure GAAP compliance including accurate revenue recognition and deferral for SaaS based revenue, professional services, expense recognitions and deferrals including vacation pay, non-cash expenses (ESOP), and regular pre-paid expenses, etc.
- Provide Department Heads with cash-based Actuals vs. Budget reports within 15 days of month-end.
- Ensure the company is Tax compliant within all jurisdictions in which it operates – Sales Tax, Income Tax, Payroll Tax, Customs and Duties etc.
- Provide Actual KPI and PI reporting to management with 15 days of month-end.
- Oversee the year-end Audit process.
- Create and maintain a financial model that will accurately predict the outcomes of management decisions and the existing operating plan on the Financial and Metrics of the company. Accuracy – Forecasts should be within 5% of actuals.
- Continually forecast assumptions and the future of the business on a monthly basis based on actuals and ongoing revisions to the strategy.
- Board Management & Fundraising.
- Based on analysis and understanding of the key drivers of company metrics, provide the Senior Leadership team insights on how to improve the business.
- Identify opportunities to improve key metrics, including revenue, gross margin, and operating burn.
What you bring
- CPA/CA. MBA ideal (finance focus).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related discipline.
- 10+ years of experience in an accounting/finance role outside of professional accounting. -Experience with full-cycle accounting.
- Demonstrated experience with building financial models, business cases, and fundraising venture capital.
- Experience working in a high-growth start-up and SaaS businesses.
- Strong people leader: experience with hiring and developing finance teams.
- Strong communication skills (oral, writing, and presentation) and ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Proven ability to thrive in fast-paced, highly collaborative environments.
- Extremely organized and motivated self-starter. Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize what matters most for the business.
- Experience working with government partners and grant accounting.
- Expert knowledge in QuickBooks.
- Expert level Excel and strong analytical skills.
- Very strong attention to detail.
Things we are looking for
- Results Orientation
- Strategic Approach
- Planning & Objective Setting
- Role Expertise
- Integrity & Sincerity
- Information Seeking
- Team Skills
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
If interested, please connect with our Partner in this search:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates around the world, including indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Diversity breeds excellence.
If you need any accommodation for the interview process please let us know.