Scientist, Organic Chemistry
South San Francisco, CA /
Circle Pharma is a pre-clinical stage, life sciences company discovering and developing macrocycle therapeutics, with an initial focus in oncology. Our discovery platform allows us to address challenging therapeutic targets such as intracellular protein-protein interactions.
Our structure-based drug discovery platform encompasses target affinity, cell permeability, medicinal chemistry and macrocycle synthesis, tightly integrated with biochemistry and cellular biology. We have recently closed a $45M Series B round of funding, with investments from premier life science investors, The Column Group and Nextech Invest, and we are looking to expand our team. We seek candidates who desire to make key contributions to help drive our growth. For more information about Circle Pharma, please see our website, www.circlepharma.com
We are looking to add a Scientist to our growing Chemistry team. Our ideal candidate must have a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry. This individual will engage in drug discovery enabled by our computational/medicinal chemistry and biology teams. Specifically, our Organic Chemist will synthesize small molecules and non-natural amino acids to support our semi-automated peptide synthesis platform. Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their resume/CV, cover letter and a research summary highlighting their chemistry. You must submit a research summary to be considered for this position
What You'll Do:
- Design, execute, purify and characterize multi-step organic syntheses of small molecules
- Work closely with colleagues to plan efficient synthetic pathways
- Integrate cutting-edge chemistry approaches
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of modern organic synthesis, medicinal chemistry, and project-related scientific literature
- Support the process team by assisting in the solid-phase synthesis of Circle’s membrane permeable macrocycles
- Coordinate with CRO chemistry teams
- Maintain a safe work environment
- Be an enthusiastic contributor to the efforts of our Chemistry Team
- PhD in synthetic organic chemistry
- 2 years of relevant post-doctoral or industry experience, ideal but not required
- Experience and expertise in the use of modern synthetic organic techniques for small molecules. Experience in peptide synthesis, a plus
- Expertise in organic synthesis and conversant with current literature
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot synthetic routes and highly difficult chemistries
- High level of creativity, knowledge of reaction mechanisms, and strong synthetic problem-solving skills, including identifying multiple synthetic approaches to a given compound
- Highly adept in structural determination using NMR and Mass Spectral techniques, as well as a strong knowledge of purification methods.
- Possess a strong desire to learn new techniques and incorporate new methodologies
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, ChemDraw, MestReNova and Mac/PC operating systems
- Excellent at maintaining laboratory records of scientific findings
- Excellent record of maintaining laboratory safety standards
- Self-motivated and independent with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Team-oriented and works well in collaborative environments
- Enjoy operating in an exceptionally dynamic, high-achieving and cooperative environment where every voice matters
- Able to stand for extended periods of time and lift 20 pounds comfortably
Circle Pharma is a dynamic start-up company, and our successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. Circle offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off, in addition to Company observed holidays. The Company provides Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, along with a retirement savings plan which includes employer contributions. We promote a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Circle Pharma is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
While COVID-19 has affected the way we operate, we are still hiring, and look forward to receiving your application! Here at Circle Pharma, the health of our team members is a top priority. Currently we have modified work arrangements, including both on-site and remote working. Our application process for prospective new team members will include initial virtual video interviews and may also include limited in-person interviews during which we will pay special attention to the distance and hygiene rules recommended by the CDC. New employees who do not start on site in our laboratory facilities are provided with IT supplies to work remotely and will be on-boarded virtually whenever possible. We recognize that these are difficult times, and are we doing everything possible to keep our employees safe while also conducting our work to bring new cancer therapies to patients.