South San Francisco, CA /
Circle Pharma is a pre-clinical stage, life sciences company discovering and developing macrocycle therapeutics, with an initial focus in oncology. Our discovery platform allows us to address challenging therapeutic targets such as intracellular protein-protein interactions.
Our structure-based drug discovery platform encompasses target affinity, cell permeability, medicinal chemistry and macrocycle synthesis, tightly integrated with biochemistry and cellular biology. We have recently closed a $45M Series B round of funding, with investments from premier life science investors, The Column Group and Nextech Invest, and we are looking to expand our team. We seek candidates who desire to make key contributions to help drive our growth. For more information about Circle Pharma, please see our website, www.circlepharma.com
We are looking to add a Vice President of Chemistry to our growing team. As an integral member of our senior leadership team, our VP of Chemistry will be responsible for working with our CSO and other senior leaders to establish and execute on our strategic research roadmap to advance current and future pipeline programs to the clinic. Our VP of Chemistry will also oversee all internal and external chemistry functions, providing feedback as well as fostering growth and intellectual development within the chemistry team. This role offers the opportunity to tackle important and challenging therapeutic targets at a company with world-class scientific advisors and robust financial backing from top-tier investors. Our ideal candidate will have a track-record of excellence in medicinal chemistry (supported by contributions to portfolio milestones, multiple peer reviewed publications and/or patents), and will have the aptitude for building and leading teams.
What You'll Do:
- Work closely with our CSO and senior leaders across departments to plan and execute R&D for macrocycle therapeutics geared toward historically intractable targets
- Lead therapeutic programs through discovery into pre-clinical and clinical development
- Oversee internal and outsourced chemistry efforts including semi-automated parallel synthesis of macrocycles and small molecule chemistry R&D, and ensure that appropriate strategies and resources are in place for all chemistry programs from the discovery phase through the clinic.
- Build out, supervise, and develop strong professional relationships with the chemistry team. Provide regular feedback and mentorship to ensure our team members are enabled and empowered to achieve corporate goals.
- Collaborate with company leadership to evaluate new target opportunities, initiate additional pipeline programs and select and implement new technologies to expand company platform capabilities
- Establish and manage relationships with cost-effective, high-quality CROs and CMOs to support preclinical activities
- Serve as the spokesperson for the chemistry department by representing our organization to stakeholders, including board presentations, investors, and the scientific community at large, while also serving as a conduit for information between senior leadership and chemistry staff internally.
- Provide support to Circle’s intellectual property strategy and portfolio
- At least 10 years of experience in roles of increasing seniority in drug discovery and development
- PhD in organic/medicinal chemistry or related discipline
- Strong experience in building and leading successful chemistry teams within an industry setting
- Experience in DMPK optimization; strong preference for experience with peptidic macrocycles
- Experience in taking a candidate molecule from early discovery through to clinical trials; strong preference for experience in oncology therapeutic development
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with computational chemistry on the integrated use of structure-based and ligand-based drug design, computational permeability modeling, SAR optimization and analysis tools
- Broad knowledge of modern synthetic methodology, analytical techniques for purification and characterization
- Track record of scientific rigor and tenacity addressing difficult scientific problems
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proactive problem solver with strong decision-making abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills with a team-oriented approach and collaborative working style
- Strong track record of successful mentorship of research staff
Circle Pharma is a dynamic start-up company, and our successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. Circle offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off, in addition to Company observed holidays. The Company provides Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, along with a retirement savings plan which includes employer contributions. We promote a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Circle Pharma is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.