Senior Staff Data Engineer
CircleUp is a data insights company that uses a unique combination of data aggregation and machine learning technology to discover and accelerate the growth of the world’s best businesses. We power every stage of private investing from sourcing and diligence to value creation. We are dedicated to bringing the data-driven investment decisions that have transformed public market investing to the private market, starting with consumer and retail. Ultimately, our mission is to empower entrepreneurs with the funding and support that they need to thrive.
Powered by Helio, CircleUp has deployed $1B+ capital to date, provides Helio as an application to external customers who want to invest in private companies, and has supported over 275 successful brands including LiquidIV, Halo Top, and Super Coffee. Helio is our comprehensive data and insights offering for consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry players, tracking 2M+ brands over time amounting to 700TB of data.
Decision-making in the private markets has historically been opaque, reliant on personal networks, and heuristics-driven. Using Helio means we remove human heuristics and biases from the investment process. We aren’t reliant on personal networks to find great companies and are able to identify entrepreneurs and businesses who have traditionally been overlooked. CircleUp launched in 2012, and is backed by top investors including Canaan Partners, GV, Maveron, QED Investors, Rose Park Advisors, Temasek and Union Square Ventures. CircleUp has been named one of the Top 5 Most Disruptive Companies in Finance by CNBC, 50 Best FinTech Innovators by KPMG, Top 3 Most Innovative Companies within Data Science by Fast Company and America's Most Promising Companies by Forbes.
About the Role
A senior staff engineer will help us lead our team to scale a complex machine learning data pipeline and platform. We currently lean heavily on technologies like Python, Spark, scikit-learn, Hive, and Airflow. If you are comfortable working across the full stack and lifecycle of predictive data products, as well as mentoring and leading more junior contributors, we want to talk to you!
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and maintenance of complex data pipelines
- Build reliable services for gathering and ingesting data from a wide variety of sources
- Build performant and reliable data pipelines to validate, extract, and normalize data from a wide variety of sources
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to understand data needs and coordinate delivery across development teams
- Write quality, maintainable code with extensive test coverage in a fast-paced, agile software engineering environment
- Provide technical leadership across the team through mentoring, code and design reviews, and setting strong example of good software engineering practice
- Hold a B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree
- 10+ years of proven working experience as a data engineer using data technologies such as Spark and Airflow
- Excellent software engineering skills and strong fundamentals in algorithms, data structures, predictive modeling, and big data concepts
- Strong programming fundamentals and proficiency in Python3
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the job description you just read! Even if you feel that you don't meet all of the requirements and qualifications, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to speak with those who share our passion to help entrepreneurs thrive - not just those who match every bullet point in our job descriptions.
CircleUp is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age, sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status and any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. We encourage those who really want to make an impact to apply for our open positions.