CircleUp is a data insights company that uses a unique combination of data aggregation and machine learning technology to discover and accelerate the growth of the world’s best businesses. We power every stage of private investing from sourcing and diligence to value creation. We are dedicated to bringing the data-driven investment decisions that have transformed public market investing to the private market, starting with consumer and retail. Ultimately, our mission is to empower entrepreneurs with the funding and support that they need to thrive.
Powered by Helio, CircleUp has deployed $1B+ capital to date, provides Helio as an application to external customers who want to invest in private companies, and has supported over 275 successful brands including LiquidIV, Halo Top, and Super Coffee. Helio is our comprehensive data and insights offering for consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry players, tracking 2M+ brands over time amounting to 700TB of data.
Decision-making in the private markets has historically been opaque, reliant on personal networks, and heuristics-driven. Using Helio means we remove human heuristics and biases from the investment process. We aren’t reliant on personal networks to find great companies and are able to identify entrepreneurs and businesses who have traditionally been overlooked. CircleUp launched in 2012, and is backed by top investors including Canaan Partners, GV, Maveron, QED Investors, Rose Park Advisors, Temasek and Union Square Ventures. CircleUp has been named one of the Top 5 Most Disruptive Companies in Finance by CNBC, 50 Best FinTech Innovators by KPMG, Top 3 Most Innovative Companies within Data Science by Fast Company and America's Most Promising Companies by Forbes.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this individual will be responsible for directing the accounting activities at CircleUp. The ideal candidate is someone who inspires a small but mighty accounting team, but can also embrace ambiguity and loves solving problems. The candidate will also possess strong management and team leadership competencies. This individual must be a senior leader who is a change agent and driver of innovation, willing to challenge the status quo from both an operational and team perspective. You will play a critical role in ensuring we continue building a world-class finance function while partnering across the business to ensure our systems and processes are running smoothly.
What You’ll Be Doing (ie. Job Duties)
- Lead, support, and develop the accounting team while driving efficiency & automation to keep up with the demands of our diverse business.
- Manage all monthly, quarterly and year-end closings, including account reconciliations, accrual schedules and general journal entries, ensuring that reconciliations are performed accurately and on-time
- Owns the GL and recording of all business transactions, including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts, while ensuring compliance with local accounting requirements and internal policies.
- Manage day-to-day operational needs, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, expense management, vendor management, and payroll processes
- Enhance operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Controllership organization
- Streamline, maintain & improve processes and internal controls.
- Responsible for annual external audit preparation and oversight.
- Team leadership through active recruiting and managing of talent including, motivating, coaching, training and mentoring team members.
- Collaborate with various business partners for a variety of program controllership and FP&A activities such as upholding accurate accrual models and appropriate accounting, as well as true-up activities. Also answer queries from business, area and subsidiary controllers
- Supervise reporting, forecasting, and budgeting processes and tools for the accountable programs
- Analyze and observe controls to ensure they are effectively designed and operating in partnership with compliance
- Continuous reviewing of actual spend against budget, as well as directing actions needed for any expected shortfalls
- Ensure timely cash flow forecasts by collaboration with the Treasury
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience, including as a Controller or Director of Accounting, with both public/private company leadership roles
- Active CPA or equivalent required.
- Experience in establishing and successfully implementing internal controls, accounting policies, and financial systems
- Experience with audit process
- ERP system knowledge (QuickBooks, NetSuite and related), including moving from one ERP system to another
- A willingness to roll up their sleeves and get in the details
- Experience setting up systems at a scaling startup
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, able to communicate complex concepts and risk factors to stakeholders and influence decision making.
- Experienced business partner, skilled in building trust and inspiring others while ramping up in a new business and role in a complex environment.
- Excitement around navigating a growth-oriented, rapidly changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the job description you just read! Even if you feel that you don't meet all of the requirements and qualifications, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to speak with those who share our passion to help entrepreneurs thrive - not just those who match every bullet point in our job descriptions.
CircleUp is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age, sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status and any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. We encourage those who really want to make an impact to apply for our open positions.