Director of Operations
New York City
Citizen’s mission is to protect the world. We began by opening the NYC and San Francisco 911 system to local Citizen app users, creating access to real-time crime and safety information. By increasing situational awareness and transparency, we hope communities will become safer than ever before.
Since our launch, 6% of New Yorkers use our app every month, and that growth is accelerating. We launched San Francisco last fall, and over 1% has already joined the Citizen safety network. We send over 4 million nearby crime notifications each month, alerting our users to emergencies and dangerous situations near them. Citizen broke both recent NYC terror incidents to people nearby, keeping thousands in the vicinity safer and informed in real-time. Citizen has been featured on local NYC news over 100 times in the past 3 months.
We’re looking for passionate, mission-driven individuals to help take the Citizen app to the next level as we scale up new cities and expand globally.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital and Founder’s Fund.
Citizen is searching for a Director of Central Operations who will play a key role in leading and developing our 24/7 mission critical central operations team. In this role, you will be responsible for developing a team accountable for driving continuous operational excellence by building scalable processes, driving with data and execution of plan, roadmap and vision. Manage the budgets and cost efficiency of the central ops team.
- Lead our talented team of communications analysts
- Direct a complex 24/7 security operations center
- Route & escalate real-time notifications to hundreds of thousands of Citizen App users
- Make continuous real-time decisions of high impact to users
- Improve efficiencies and mitigate operational weaknesses
- Design and implement a roadmap to achieve long-term strategic goals
- Measure the impact and efficiency of new services and business practices
- Design OKRs and KPIs, manage to continuous improvement
- Create a data-driven culture within the operation
- Develop a cost efficient organization by interfacing with the product team and decentralizing various components of the operation
- Oversee development of training and on-boarding plan
- 5+ years of Operations or Business Management experience at a high growth tech company
- Extremely comfortable being data-driven. You make sound business decisions through deep analytical thinking.
- Experience developing teams. You have a high EQ and are able to work with, coach, and manage a diverse team.
- Excellent execution skills with a strong attention to detail.
- A positive attitude and entrepreneurial spirit. You thrive in fast-paced environments and you’re excited about taking bold action.
- Stellar people skills and the ability to build smart partnerships. You excel at influencing and motivating people.
- Bonus points if your experience includes helping build and scale a Series A stage startup through several fundraising rounds and into a large company that exited or neared IPO
- Security / Safety experience a plus (Real-Time Crime Center / GSOC as well)
- MBA preferred but not required
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.