User Experience Research Manager / User Experience Researcher
New York City
Citizen’s mission is to protect the world. We began by opening the NYC and San Francisco 911 system to local Citizen app users, creating access to real-time crime and safety information. By increasing situational awareness and transparency, we hope communities will become safer than ever before.
Since our launch, 6% of New Yorkers use our app every month, and that growth is accelerating. We launched San Francisco last fall, and over 1% has already joined the Citizen safety network. We send over 4 million nearby crime notifications each month, alerting our users to emergencies and dangerous situations near them. Citizen broke both recent NYC terror incidents to people nearby, keeping thousands in the vicinity safer and informed in real-time. Citizen has been featured on local NYC news over 100 times in the past 3 months.
We’re looking for passionate, mission-driven individuals to help take the Citizen app to the next level as we scale up new cities and expand globally.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital and Founder’s Fund.
Citizen is searching for a Product Researcher who will play a key role in understanding the needs and motivations of our users, our Guardian community, and our partners in the public sector (Police Departments / Fire Departments / First Responders / Mayors / Governors / State and Government). In this role, you will be responsible for gathering insights using qualitative and quantitative methods that will drive our product roadmap and strategy.
- Create, develop, and foster relationships with Government agencies, first responders, etc. to bring Citizen nationwide
- Work closely with product teams to identify important research questions
- Introduce the discipline of research to Citizen, while advocating for people who use our products
- Design and execute studies that address both user behavior and attitudes, using the right methodology for the right questions
- Generate insights that shape how product teams think about medium and long-term product strategy
- Work cross-functionally with product management, data science, engineering, and marketing
- Communicate insights in creative and compelling ways
- Hire and grow a team of researchers
- B.A/B.S. in Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction, Experimental Psychology, or a related field
- 5+ years work experience, ideally in consumer tech, growth-stage companies, or a design consultancy
- Prior experience working with consumer products at scale
- Ability to ask, as well as answer, meaningful and impactful questions
- Self-starter with ability to multitask and manage time effectively under tight deadlines
- True entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to operate successfully in a growth company environment
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.