Notification Reporter (Overnight), National Operations Center
New York City
Please note that overnight hours are from 10p-7a, five days a week. Due to the inconvenience of these hours, Notification Reporters working the overnight shift have an hourly rate that is 19% higher than daytime shifts.
Citizen’s mission is to protect the world by building a global safety network of people protecting each other via our free iOS/Android app. The network is powered by technology that generates instant alerts about public safety emergencies—as they occur. Each incident on the platform creates a temporary local network of people who use the Citizen product to protect each other, broadcasting live video and communicating with others nearby.
About the Team
The National Operations Center is Citizen’s 24/7 newsroom. The talented, detail-oriented, and creative individuals on this team are the frontline of our business. Every incident created in the Citizen app is managed by a Notification Reporter. Many of Citizen’s Notification Reporters are former journalists, copywriters, content creators, and first responders—but most importantly have a passion for keeping their communities safe and informed.
We are looking for collaborative and mission-driven problem solvers to join our growing National Operations Center. Notification Reporters are responsible for managing a specific territory, sometimes an entire city, for developing public safety emergencies during their shifts. The majority of their time is spent monitoring and listening to various data and audio sources in order to collect, process, and translate safety notifications to millions of Citizen users in real-time and help them stay safe.
Please note that we run a 24/7/365 operation and new team members who have the flexibility to take on weekend shifts are more likely to be considered.
- Educate and empower users to keep them safe through real-time reporting on crime and public safety emergencies
- Monitor, interpret, and moderate multiple streams of data including police scanners
- Exercise superb editorial judgment on sensitive subject matter
- Research local news in Citizen’s coverage areas
- Collaborate with colleagues to investigate breaking national or international stories
- Craft social media posts on developing incidents
- Bachelor’s degree
- Fluent in English; excellent writer with flawless grammar
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
- 60+ WPM typing speed (visit: https://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/ to confirm)
- Resilient, resourceful, and adaptable
- Conscientious, demonstrating a high attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and effectively prioritize
- Ex-journalists, reporters, editors, writers, producers, first responders, public safety officials, criminology buffs; experience in another creative field, startup, or fast-paced environment a plus
- Bonus: experience using Citizen and listening to police radio
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, overtime, meals, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.